Contact Me

Friday, May 18, 2018

Breaking in the New Crockpot/Wasting Nothing

After I took back the last defective crockpot,  I have missed having one. The one I got had to live in the car until I could get it to the house. Finally, I made a Taco Casserole that will end up looking more like taco soup.

Everything I needed is right here, so I had to buy nothing.  I think there are several packages of shredded cheese lurking in corners of the refrigerator, so I will use those, no matter what kind of cheese. No, only  bit of one package.

ground pork
can corn
can black beans
2 cans diced tomatoes
1/4 cup brown rice
2 Tbsp. taco seasoning
shredded cheese

This recipe calls for one can of tomato sauce, but I use two cans diced tomatoes. I like the bits of tomato. The rice thickens up the liquid from the tomatoes and the tomato sauce from the bits are not lost. It calls for spices, but taco seasoning packet works for me.

Exbf got four meals from the steak and potatoes I sent home with him and two salads from the lettuce and tomatoes. He has cans of food he opens to complete any meal I send him.  I will probably send enough of the Taco Casserole next Tuesday to make two meals for him.

I know all of you have had crockpots for years. Someone, please tell me the crocks on your new crockpots are damaged out of the box like mine were.

Thursday night, I needed something to eat. Since the salad from the Tuesday Spaghetti lunch was still here, I ate that with a can of tuna. Surprisingly, there were lots of tomatoes in this salad as opposed to the one I had at the lunch. I did waste the cucumber since exbf was not here to claim the pieces of cucumber. I forgot to buy more cheese for the casserole, so I did not want that.

In order to not use the dryer and not hang clothes outdoors in the pollen, I have been hanging clothes in the house. At some point, I will use the dryer. My utility bill was at an all-time low. Of course, since I am using the ac, the utility bill will go up from ac use.

Right now, I am so excited about the royal marriage spectacle. Since I plan to get up at 4 am and watch tv for a long time, I hope to get a good night's sleep before 4 am. Who else is getting up to watch the royal wedding?

10 comments:

  1. I am not getting up to watch the wedding. I figure there will be tons of coverage on later. If I were not doing whole 30 I would have baked a lemon/elderflower cake with butter cream frosting as my personal homage to the nuptials, but there is no way I am eating desserts right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be somewhere at 9 am, so I am going to get up at 4 and then get ready. I just want to see the whole thing! That cake sounds scrumptious.

      Delete
  2. Surely they must have realized that May 19th is the anniversary of Anne Boleyn's execution. I thought of it the minute they announced the date. I love all things Tudor, but have a particular fondness for Queen Anne Boleyn, so I am not watching the Royal Wedding for that reason--that, and I don't feel like waking up for it.
    We still have pistachio cake and a real Key lime pie from Mother's day, (the pie hasn't been touched, yet) so I won't be baking anything special. It's a nice thought, though. I typically do recognize events like these in my meals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I did not know it right off the top of my head, I did realize it aster a while. last week, I watched The Other Boleyn Girl on roku. There will be nothing baked here, just the usual. I would not have let a key lime pie sit this long.

      Delete
  3. I am. Have insomnia anyway, so I'll be up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      I, too, stay up late. So, this will not be difficult for me...lol.

      Delete
  4. I was up at 4am and enjoyed the whole spectacle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margie,
      And, it was quite a spectacle! Watching the whole thing was surely better than catching it piecemeal. I loved it.

      Delete
  5. I quite fond of crockpots and what can be done with them.
    I slept through the wedding but I saw the highlights or course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      I doubt I could ever truly get along without a crockpot! At least you saw parts of it.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.