Contact Me

Saturday, May 5, 2018

This Honey Bear Is NOT Honey


8 oz clear PET honey bear bottle (12 oz of honey) with 38-400 neck finish


I was given a Honey Bear from Aldi, their brand, Berryhill. I assume all honey bears are not honey.  The label convinced me otherwise. THEN, I saw the honey bear label had an expiration date.  Aha, I was correct. I am positive real, pure honey has no expiration date! Pure honey never spoils. At this point I was absolutely convinced the honey had been filtered of all pollen. If the pollen has been filtered out, it is not really honey.

Naturally, I googled Berryhill and found it mentioned by name as filtered honey. Other companies besides Aldi's have been implicated. This ARTICLE lists other chains than Aldi's that sell honey that has the pollen filtered out.

Some honey has other things less expensive added. So, beware. The reason that honey has the pollen filtered out is that honey is regulated. Foreign honey can be located by the footprint of the pollen. China honey is imported illegally.  It can be traced if the honey is filtered.  Besides, it may have substances you do not want in your food.

(The honey bear pictured actually is empty. I did not want to picture a brand and have to argue with the company.)

Money is the root of the illegal honey trade, the smuggling. Meanwhile, the consumer is cheated and overcharged. The person assuming he or she is eating a food that is healthy is overpaying for a food that is not what it seems.

I wrote this post last week. Today, I was in a store I rarely go into. I happened to go buy the honey displayed and backed up.  Altered honey is clear not murky like honey really appears. This was from  a local honey person, if you can call North Carolina local. However, it was murky and not clear. That made me happy even though I was not going to purchase it.

I buy my honey from a person in the country, someone I know personally. Do you buy honey from the beekeeper? Do you buy it with a store label or from a farmer's market?? Did the article help you, give you any information that will help you to determine what kind of honey to buy?

10 comments:

  1. I read the label on the honey in the grocery store here. It amounted to honey flavored corn syrup. So now I buy honey at the Farmer's Market from a vendor who is reputable. His honey is wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki,
      I doubt that most people who buy grocery store honey realize they are buying inferior, over-priced honey product. You are wise to buy from a local vendor who is reputable.

      Delete
  2. I buy honey from a beekeper at the Farmers Market and I when honey is half price in the supermarket I usually buy some there too, but its 100% pure honey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan,
    It is good you are aware of what you are buying. One question--is there an expiration date on the reduced supermarket honey?

    ReplyDelete
  4. no expiration date, just the date it was packaged

    ReplyDelete
  5. I get my honey from a friend's neighbor. I'm on my last jar from last year. I better buy extra this year. Best honey ever. I know where it comes from and helps a local man stay in business. No third parties involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cents, Cutting out the middle man is good for the local business. I drive to the countryside and get mine from the box out front.

      Delete
  6. There was a great documentary about the international honey business and all the testing. It seems that the scientific community is always playing catch-up for as soon as they develop a new technique the honey industry finds a way to beat it. Like you I buy from a local beekeeper.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne,
    Thanks. I will have to watch for that documentary. It's a shame.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.