Contact Me

Wednesday, October 9, 2024

New-to-Us Car

 

Honda and Tommy's Rogue in the driveway


                                       back of Rogue, Impala in carport, Honda

We left and arrived at the car dealer about 1:15. We had a salesman try to follow us on foot. Tommy kept driving. The guy sort of stopped following and looked disappointed. I told Tommy to stop because a guy was coming. When we started backing up the guy looked happier. He told us to park and he would come back.

Well, he brought back a clipboard and started getting ready to record the answers to his questions. Nope, not playing that game. I told him so, and also forcefully told him we did not know what we wanted. I reminded him Honda had a million recalls as of last night. He had not heard that and told me I could read anything on the internet. Not playing that game either. He asked which ones. I told him I had a notebook full of cars, lots of makes, some bad, some good.

Finally, since he came to Tommy's door, I just turned away and pouted. Finally, he ran inside and got someone else to talk us into giving info about stuff, like how many miles a car could have, color, what exactly was important to us in a car. I still rebelled and Tommy did not try to persuade me or give them info except his first name. I told them no one had come out with a clipboard trying to pin us down, since everything could change and something I did not say was important could end of being important. 

They gave up the clipboard. Oh, and they came to my side of the car. I kept turning away. He was so annoying. At one point my phone rang with another car salesman. After another run-in, I smiled and told him that call was from a salesman wanting me to come back in, that we had been to several car dealerships. 

Time wore on and we were worn out. We finally got home about 5:15, exhausted. The salesman delivered the car and picked up our payment. 

We had to go inside to conclude the sale. That took two hours inside. AND, the chairs were not comfortable at all 

The price we had to see in writing before we came in was something I forgot. We were only willing to pay taxes, not all the doc fee stuff. So, I rared up and said no, that they lied by saying we would not pay that. They said everyone who buys a car must pay that. "Well, the dealer yesterday took all that off, and we were only paying tax.

So, they brought in a third man. We said they lied and we were leaving. They asked me what I was willing to pay. I had worn them down. Finally, they lowered the car price enough that I would pay the other things like doc fee. 

We had to walk so far to get at a desk out of the blazing 4 pm sun. 

Tommy was never agreeable to anything. He followed my lead and never said we could do whatever I said no about. 

It worked out. When we refused to come inside until we had the price we wanted and signed. The guy sitting behind me in the car said, "That is very aggressive." He did not appreciate my dickering, more like silent stubbornness. 

I did become friendly and loquacious. I think they were relieved.  

Finally, someone asked how we were going to finance the car. I was waiting for Tommy and finally sort of low, said 'your credit union?' He said, "No, I thought I would just write a check." I was shocked. I never knew he kept that kind of money in his savings account. So, that saves paying interest.

They did not have a white car, so he bought a silver Honda CRV. It has a moon roof that almost made me not want the car. But, once it was cheap enough, I relented. I told Tommy not to let them know he was okay with the moonroof. 94K mileage, 2018, one owner, cash price $19963, total amt due $21,766.

My ex was so angry when I would not agree to prices at furniture store or anywhere. He said, "At least your stubbornness pays off sometimes." 

Tommy is always happy when I am stubborn. This car has a moonroof, but it is his car.  Mine won't have a moonroof. I bought the Impala and did not realize it had a moonroof. I was shocked. 

We both carried a sandwich today and ate them on the way home. He saw I had made a sandwich, so he made one for himself. 

It should not take four hours to buy a car! This is the car the Tupperware dealer let me sit in the passenger seat.

This was not edited.   




14 comments:

  1. It pays to drive a hard bargain!
    I'm so glad you got what you were happy with and the higher style should make it easy to get in and out of ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      This is higher than a car, yet not too high. It is just right.

      Delete
  2. Son 2 sat for 6 hrs as they decided to make sure the car was clean as it had been test driven that morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the car.
    The last one I bought, it took hours to get it all finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is beautiful! Many safe travels for you and Tommy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Thanks, It is pretty, and I feel safe/

      Delete
  5. Purchasing a car is indeed ridiculous. The hours spent from start to finish always irked me. My last vehicle I purchased online and went to dealer to pickup (new Nissan) still took several hours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Sandie,
      Now that I know exactly what works for us, the next one won't be so hard.

      Delete
  6. I think you got a good deal on that car and Honda's have a reputation for being a good, reliable car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suemn,
      Thanks, I was hoping I did not pay too much. I was sort of wanting a Honda when we started out that day.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! You must be incredibly relieved this huge job is over. That whole process took so much of your mental and physical energy. I cannot imagine how much better you will feel now that the job is done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, Thanks. I am still mentally and physically exhausted! I can barely move. I hurt everywhere. Now, we need to buy another one. We can travel safely on our trip! But, it is done.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.