Contact Me

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Tuesday-Lunch, Thursday Dinner, and Stolen Car

Tuesday was the free lunch. There is a couple with whom we always sit. So, it was a pleasant interlude. Lunch was baked spaghetti, bread, cole slaw and a piece of cake or pie and conversation.

Afterward, we took a ride around the lake and observed things that are new. It seems they are always doing something to improve the grounds around the lake. Plus, this is a very pleasant area to be.

In times past I have taken a lunch and have eaten at a picnic table or if it is too cold or too hot, in the car. Actually, for the past few years, I am too chicken to eat at the table as the geese are very aggressive, wanting food and not holding back to get it. Rude!

For his dinner, I boiled potatoes then put them on a pan with raw onion chunks and Johnsonville Maple Breakfast sausages. After I baked this, I turned on the broiler.  He did not want slaw, so that was it. He declared it was delicious. He took home enough of this for three more meals plus the to-go box from church with spaghetti, bread, his slaw and mine.

The poor guy does not have to worry about dinner for four days! Surprisingly, he exclaimed how delicious the onions were. I didn't taste them.

The next day, he said he found in the freezer carrots I baked, so that was added to the potatoes, onions and sausages.

Thursday night was the monthly dinner. We had lasagna, salad with dressing, bread, unsweetened tea, a little pie and ice cream. I did not eat the bread or salad croutons, had seconds of lasagna, brought the little, individual pie home and another to freeze for Tommy.

If you live in this area or Illinois, did you hear about the guy whose car in Cullman was stolen by a trustee prisoner. Well, my friend was the owner of the car. He was telling me all about it when we met in Publix. The guy drove the car to Illinois, I think. It was wrecked and had the radio torn out. Thankfully, my friend owns a truck so he was not stuck with no car. Or, was it St Louis?

He said he will never, ever leave his car unlocked again! I lock my car in the driveaway and anywhere since about 1984. Of course, he left his key in the ignition. I groaned when I heard this. So, he said he would never leave the key in the ignition.

I lay in bed for three days, desperately ill. Finally, last Sunday I felt better and even better on Monday. I have no idea what was wrong as I had no fever and nothing hurt. Do you even feel so rotten, barely able to move, sleep lots and eventually recover without meds?

Do you leave the key in the car? Do you lock your car all the time?

15 comments:

  1. I grew up in a sketchy part of town and we always locked our doors. If it was hot outside, we would lock the screen door. Doors and windows were always closed and locked when we were not at home. We never left keys in the car and the car was always locked when parked in the driveway. I have continued with those practices to this day. I don't trust anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents never locked their car doors in the driveway until the neighborhood changed. I lock my doors when I am on the other side of the house, sometimes. When I went to UAB, I started locking my doors and do to this day.

      I had a friend who complained that neighbor kids got into her car and stole things all the time. She refused to lock the car or bring her purse in even after thefts.

      Delete
  2. I always lock my car although it sits at a parking lot with security at the entrance. I also never leave valuables or things that may be seen valuable visible inside the car. I put them in the trunk. I do not know how it is with your car insurance but, if a car is stolen with the ignition key in the car in this country, the insurance will not pay for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T'Pol,
      You are smart...same with me. I forgot about that part...leaving keys in ignition. The only time I have left keys in the ignition, I have locked them in the car. No one can get in, even me. Thanks for reminding me.

      Delete
  3. We do lock our car doors, and don't leave keys in the car. Years ago our car was broken into. A blanket for emergencies was taken and a bit of change that was kept in an out of sight compartment, and the glove compartment was gone through.

    Luckily nothing of real value was in there to be taken, but we thought it was a good idea to report it to the police, so maybe they could patrol the neighborhood a bit more often so other neighbors wouldn't have their cars broken into.

    The police officer came and accused me of leaving the door unlocked. It felt like he was trying to make me the bad doer. I told him I was sure that I had locked the doors on the car. He continued his attitude, but I was certain I had locked the doors. I carefully examined the lock area and as I did I discovered that the door handle part on that car on the underside of the handle had been pried. The police officer had not noticed that, I guess because he was so sure I had left the door unlocked. I showed it to the cop and then he finally changed his attitude toward me.

    If someone wants to steal your car, if it's not set up with an alarm and it's an older model car,thieves know how to easily pop the door lock and drive the car away even without keys. I believe that newer cars with alarm systems,anti theft entry, and special ignition protections give thieves more of a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My totaled car had anti-theft protection even though it was a 2000. This one does, too. Even if they have to use a hammer or brick, thieves who want in will go to extremes, especially ones who need to buy drugs. I am glad you proved your car had been jimmied.

      Delete
  4. I sometimes leave the key in the car by accident and go nuts trying to find it!
    I have got well without meds many times because I like to do without them if I can. Sometimes you have to take something and keep going but I think illness is asking us to rest and it's good to do as the body asks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got to the point where I could tell the doctor anything but "I feel so bad." I knew I had to either get better or develop a symptom.

      Delete
  5. We lock our vehicles all the time (and live next to a cop), would never even think of leaving a key in ignition. We also don't keep anything in the car except the trunk so you can't see anything attractive to steal. Thieves are everywhere unfortunately. I am glad you are feeling better - perhaps it was your body telling you you needed a short break?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheapchick,
      Your policy is best! My sister was married to a cop who brought his car home. People loved he lived there.


      My body keeps telling me to go to bed often this month--September. I guess I am fighting off my October illnesses caused by allergies. thanks.

      Delete
  6. Do you leave the key in the car? No.
    Do you lock your car all the time? Yes

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Those are two excellent choices to make.

      Delete
  7. I am a real foodie. And such lunch as well as dinner parties are likes never a miss for me. Came to know about LA event venues from my cousin and hired one for our official get together with all colleagues. Pies, drinks and loads of cheesy snacks were blowing our mind. Champagne and specially the Tiramisu was out of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A business has posted a spam comment to this blog post. The link in the comment goes to a website that submits over 100 comments per day to blogspot sites with a link to their site as an opportunity to make their site look more popular to search engines like google. If you read the comment and look at the link they inserted, you will notice it is not helpful to your readers and it doesn't even make sense to be linked other than for their own business needs. If you would like to mark it as spam to prevent them from using you, follow the instructions here: https://support.google.com/blogger/answer/187141?hl=en

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.