Contact Me

Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Second Day of Birthday Week and Potato Soup

Well, fun is thin today. I was really tired from the lunch day. I did get lots of sleep and rest, so that is a gift in and of itself. Thanks to Gordon, we have overcast skies, but, thankfully, no rain.

In a few hours, I am going to get a small cup of chocolate ice cream from Dairy Queen. I love their ice cream. Plus, it does not make me ill like soft serve from Burger King.

This afternoon was a salad with the fresh tomatoes from the Farmer's Market. I gave exbf two yesterday. This evening, I will boil eggs, saute the zucchini and squash. A boiled egg can keep me from eating junk some days.

All my life, I have absolutely hated potato soup. But, I tasted some from the deli at Publix and think I can make soup like they do.  I cannot go wrong putting bacon and cheese in diced and boiled potatoes. Right? Bacon and cheese can make anything delicious. Right? Yes, I do know to partially drain potatoes and mash some of them.

Daddy made horrible potato soup. But, I doubt that during the Great Depression they had the luxury of putting cheese and bacon in boiled potatoes. They were probably lucky if they had enough potatoes to feed 12 children.

I was going to use a coupon for free-ish fast food, but I nixed that.

So, that is it for day 2. Not much. But, I am not so tired.


13 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Week!
    I like potato soup and cheese and bacon only takes it to an entirely new level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Thank You!
      Maybe I just like cheese and bacon soup. When I was in the hospital once, the first day they brought in everything I absolutely cannot stand--potato soup, apple juice, orange Jello, sweet tea, and something else nasty. I was almost in tears at the horrid smells and the fact I was so hungry.

      Delete
  2. I've been really busy! I love potato soup but I just use celery and onion and cook the diced potatoes in a homemade broth. Then I add a little milk/1/2 and 1/2 and usually blend with my immersion blender. Occasionally I'll add some odds and ends cheese though and it does make it tastier. I hope you're feeling less tired- I'm beat myself and it's just 7 AM LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am considering broth, celery, and onion. I only have milk. When I am so tired and do other things, my recovery is longer, so it is best to give up and rest. I can get tired really early, too.

      Delete
  3. Happy birthday week! My mom used to make potato soup also, and I never liked it. I would give anything to have her make me a pot of soup now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      Thanks! I think Daddy made ours. I would love my mother to make spaghetti. Even though I have the recipe, it would be good if she could make it. I would give anything, too.

      Delete
  4. My daddy made the WORST potato soup ever!!! I really can't imagine that your dad's soup was worst than my dad's soup. And when we got home from school and could smell it coming, there was no way out. I'm surprised I survived. But like you said, today we put in a bit of cream, bacon and cheese. Also a chopped green onion on top. I love it now. He also put chopped tomatoes in the potato salad. I know. My childhood sounds like a nightmare. (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      Daddy probably made it like he ate it growing up. Yours, too. Yes, I could smell it, too. The potato soup at Publix deli is the first potato soup is the first I have liked. Tomatoes in the potato salad would not please me! I did learn to like diced tomatoes in slaw. My mother's cooking was great except for one thing. Daddy like to add strange things, so we always questioned and smelled it before committing to even tasting it. "Nightmare" could describe his cooking some days.

      Delete
  5. So glad you are feeling better - Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perhaps this is a matter of not having real-good proper potato soup. I remember when I first had 'real tomatoes' and wondered how on earth do people eat them otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I have had plenty of potato soup put before me, and have never, ever liked any of them. Just this one full of cheese and bacon appealed to me. "Real tomatoes" are miraculous.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.