Contact Me

Sunday, September 23, 2018

A Freebie, First Egg, and a Conversation

First, my freebie. and an announcement--I got my first egg on Thursday. They ate a couple before I found this one buried in dirt.

Friday night, I learned to use the Freeosk at Walmart. The other times I asked someone to show me. Well, each time that person just did it. Actually, once I felt so awful, it was okay. Friday night, I did it all by myself and got a tiny, 0.85 ounce bottle of Johnson's Cottontouch newborn face and body lotion--no parabens, no phthalates or dyes. Since I have no newborns around here, I will use it on myhands and arms. It does not smell like the sweet, pink Johnson's lotion I used on my babies.

Near the electronics section in Walmart, young people from a company trying to sell electronic services set up and waylay people walking by.

Salesperson to me. Hello, who do you get your cable from?
Me: I use an antenna.
Salesperson: You don't get good service, do you?
Me: No.
Salesperson: Are there things you don't get that you would like to get?
Me: Yes.
Salesperson as he knelt by me in the electric cart: Well, I have a service so you can get everything you want. How does that sound?
Me: Not good.
Salesperson: Why?
Me: Because I don't need everything I would like. It would be expensive where my programs are free now.

He finally gave up after a few more exchanges.  There is no way I can justify spending money on cable when I can get a few stations and the news for free. I am quite sure that he had the latest phone in his pocket.

I wondered if he believed what he was suggesting or if it was just a job where he was paid to promote the company's agenda. Tommy spends what I consider to be an exorbitant amount on his cable package, but he can afford it, wants it, and does not work, so he watches more tv. And, god forbid, he does not get every football game!

I digress.

I could just wave off these young salespersons who are not WM employees, give them a short but polite rebuff,  and keep rolling along. But, I just want them to be aware that some people are happy with less than the "best." Plus, I like to hear their sales pitch knowing I can escape at any time.

Since I cannot afford cable, I am willing to do without rather than run amok with bill paying. I admit to a bit of frustration. when I hear Tommy is watching a movie I would like, no,  love, to watch.

Is there anything that you do without? Trips to the end of the earth? Having a personal chef cook for you and a maid to wash the dishes?



2 comments:

  1. Lots I do without I suppose; I try not to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Nor do I until someone tries to convince me I should not do without.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.