Contact Me

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Grilled Squash Fans





When I find a recipe I like in a magazine, eventually I tear out the whole page with the recipe so I can get rid of the magazine. I have had the now-wrinkled, ripped out page from the Southern Living May 1987 issue since I tore it out 31 years ago. I cannot believe it has been that long ago.

This is one of my favorite recipes to serve, whether at home or as a dish to take somewhere and share. I believe this would cook as well in the oven as the on grill. I think that I cooked these in the oven a few times. So, no grill marks.

You can go HERE and view the grilled squash fans ingredients. Plus, get the recipe. Okay, I copied the ingredients and directions below.

Ingredients

  • 6 yellow squash
  • 3 plum tomatoes
  • 2 Tablespoon chopped fresh basil
  • 1 Teaspoon salt
  • 1 Teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1/2 Cup olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, pressed
  • Garnish: fresh basil sprigs 

How to Make It

Step 1
Cut each squash lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices, cutting to within 1 inch of stem end. Cut tomatoes into 1/4-inch slices.

Step 2
Combine chopped basil and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring until blended. Add squash and tomato, tossing gently to coat; let stand 1 hour.
Step 3
Remove vegetables from marinade, reserving marinade; insert tomato slices between squash slices, and secure with wooden skewers.
Step 4
Grill, covered with grill lid, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 8 minutes on each side or until crisp-tender, basting often with reserved marinade. Garnish, if desired.

My way
I hand select each crook neck squash and the tomatoes which must be just the right size. I do like the tomatoes to extend a bit further. I think other tomato varieties would work as well. I use Roma. I like the look of the crook neck squash but the straight neck yellow squash is fine.
If you are using produce from your garden, ignore sizes, just assemble what you have regardless of sizes. 
This is a slippery last step. So, be prepared to not be able to answer the phone, pick up a child or stir anything on the stove. Work over the bowl or a plate! A dishtowel nearby can really be helpful. 
Do you like squash and tomato? You will love this. The squash fans are an impressive presentation. Did you grow all the ingredients in your garden? I know sluggy did. And, I have green plates to serve them. 

Okay, so I have a few things to do on my birthday, but I will be back!



4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Linda! I hope you have something fun planned for today.

    Did my card arrive?

    My birthday was a couple of weeks back. I spent it with my daughter and her boys. Fortunately she lives fairly close (91 miles) so I am able to visit with her every 6 weeks or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, yes, the card arrived Sat and I got it Sat night. It was so cute that I laughed as I drove. I am going to put the words on the card on my blog when I find it. I emailed you. It must be nice to be that close.

      Delete
  2. This sounds yummy but posted too late for me to try it this year as the squash is done for the season(and I used my last of it last week). Will try it next Summer tho, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. slugmama,
      Your last post with produce finally spurred me to put this up as I have had it on my to-do list for a month.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.