Contact Me

Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Resident Groundhog/Woodchuck, etc

Okay, I had chocolate chip cookies and milk for breakfast. I know it is not good for me, but it worked for me.

Usually at 9 am, the grass in the backyard is still wet. Today, before 9 am, it was very dry back there. So, going out to the chickens was pleasant. Today, they had not yet eaten or laid an egg. So, hopefully being fed early will eliminate the egg eating.

Before noon, it was 90 F. With the low humidity, as evidenced by early departure of dew, I can do some yard things without getting wet. The boxes I brought the chickens home in are still sitting out there. Something is dragging garbage around the yard, so I need to get that. Actually, something is dragging bags of recycling.

Instead of taking each recyclable thing out to the bin, I usually keep it inside in a grocery bag and take things out once each day. But, flies and fruit flies come to that inside. So, now I tie up bags and put them in the recycling bin. I have no idea what drags the bags all over the back yard. But, I know who gets to pick it all up. Tonight is the night to get garbage ready since the garbage man will be here by 7 am on Thursday.

Lunch--vegetable soup from Tuesday Free Lunch. I love having prepared no-brainer meals. A bit of chicken for protein, and I was satisfied. Today, the soup was much thicker, and I had more vegetables in it.

Remember I relocated a dead possum? Well, it appears I now have a woodchuck or groundhog, whichever you prefer.  I could not bend enough and handle the sensitive trigger to set the trap, so someone else set it. I was going to use strawberry caps for raccoons, but now I am not sure. I can use lettuce for the groundhog. Two baits in the trap should catch one of the other.

4 comments:

  1. To give you a laugh...we planted a garden, grew lovely tomatoes in cages..the windows are open and we are having lunch in the dining room...I hear a funny noise out back..like lips smacking. Look outside, there is a groundhog, standing up, leaning on the tomato cage, eating a giant red tomato with such relish!. I yelled at him and he just kept chowing it down. Pest!
    We are no cooler in Pennsylvania. UGH.
    Take care, Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bsarb,
      Now, that is funny! I was not aware they smacked. I went out once when one was leaving my tomato plant, but he had only taken one bite.
      I still run the ac 24/7. Thanks for the funny story.

      Delete
  2. A nice vegie soup sounds good, especially if it doesn't take any effort!
    I hope you catch your menace, who wants to be dragging the recycling back to the bin all the time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      food without effort is always a good idea. I know. One bag is under the house, dragged through a little opening that used to have a screened window until a wild thing came crashing through. Of course, the animal dragged the bags to the fences, leaving me to walk all over the yard. Plus, some bags of recycling are all around the garbage and recycling bin. Not fun.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.