Contact Me

Monday, September 3, 2018

Radio Flyer--Buying New Wheels.

The wheels were only $8. They are labeled "lawnmower wheels." Actually, they will go on a Radio Flyer little red wagon. I think. Online, RF wagon wheels are $13.24 + shipping.

Someone gave the wagon to me so I could bring groceries from the car to house. It is secondhand and was abused although new. I valued it and took care of it. However, exbf kept yanking it and popping the wagon up the one step from backyard to front yard. I had told him not to yank it. But, every time he was alone with the wagon, I could hear what he did.

Finally, he came in one day and told me the wagon lost a wheel...grrr. I calmly told him I knew why and he could buy me a new wagon, so he did. He neither denied nor confirmed what he had done after I told him why the wheel broke...lol. We never discussed it.

Tractor Supply had wheels that were something like $38/each. The price for these wheels at Walmart are more what I can afford--$8. They are about a half inch or  an inch larger in diameter, so I got two and can replace both back wheels. If I put one on and it seems to work okay, I may take the other back.

Of course, I will not be putting these on the wagon! Someone else will have to do the job.

The wagon given to me was a cheap one from WM, only $75. The new one was from a dealer, a bit over $100. The cheap one had plastic wheels and the higher priced and newer wagon has metal wheels. I can tell the difference in the weight of the more expensive wagon.

The Walmart wagon was without a handle when I got it. RadioFlyer would not replace it since I bought it at WM.  ??? I told them how disappointed I was with the service from an old and trusted company, that I had owned their wagon before. I offered to buy  a new handle. They refused. About six months later, a new, metal handle arrived in the mail. I installed it with a screwdriver.

Lots of people have encouraged me to just throw this rusty, faded wagon away. They all will "help" me  and carry it to the curb...and then take the useless piece of junk off my hands. Why do people do things like that--disparage the looks and worth and suddenly want my junk. I am not so hopelessly old that I do not see what know why they want me to get rid of it.

My children had a Radio Flyer  red wagon that never failed. And, it had a metal handle. So does the new wagon.

Every time I contemplate the quality between these two wagons, I am disappointed with the degradation of products. The first wagon is a poor example of a fine wagon company that has been know for quality. Yet, the standards of the WM wagon are so low that the original company will not stand behind the product. So many things known for high standards are ruined by the demands of a company for a cheap and cheaply made product. Schwinn ruined its reputation to sell in one store. It makes me sad for our demand for supplies and disregard for quality.

Your turn

Have you ever had to replace plastic wagon wheels? Did you or your children have Radio Flyer red wagons?


6 comments:

  1. Now that is some practical parsimony! So smart to think of it!

    We had a metal wagon. Not sure what brand it was, but it was red metal. We played with it all the time as kids. Wish I still had it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      That is why I named the blog as I did...lol

      I think RF is the only brand around back then. I wish we had our wagon, too. Nice memories.

      Delete
  2. My sister and I had a radio flyer and my kids had one too. I hope whoever we gave them to is still getting some milage out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne,
    I have had the chance to trash two wagons. Hopefully, whoever gets wagons will fix them instead of throwing them in the trash. We can only hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We still have our kids red Radio Flyer wagon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Great. And, now you have a shop with lots of wall space to store it and keep it dry until a grandchild needs it.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.