Contact Me

Saturday, June 9, 2018

What do you use?

Numerous flea and mosquito bites are plaguing me. I itch. I claw. I bleed.  I don't want to take Benadryl because I would be too sleepy all the time.

I have tried Benadryl cream and a hydrocortisone 10% to no avail. Finally, the pharmacist suggested Chiggerex. I still itch. In the night I use toenails on one foot to bloody the other foot.

This is not just a maddening itching and bleeding. Some places where I have dug into my skin have gotten infected. Last year, I had to get an oral antibiotic and topical antibiotic so I would not develop sepsis in the open sores that had become red and swollen two inches across beyond the smaller edge.

What do you use for itch that is otc? If you use a prescription for itches, I can get that prescribed.

One particular itch was between my toenail and first joint. Chiggerex barely eased the itch at all.

Monday, I can get a prescription, but Sunday, I can get an otc. This anti-itch does not have to be an anti-itch application. I use Vicks Vaporub to stop itch, but I have so many bites so close together that I need something stronger. I won't use anything with ammonia because I am allergic/sensitive to ammonia and won't be able to breathe. My lungs will become congested.

Today, it was 94 F at 4 pm. Monday, I have to start the process of buying a new ac. It's too hot for the crockpot, and no, I cannot put it outdoors.

Right outside the backdoor, there is a wasp nest. Someone offered to knock it off. No, they would just want to sting me. And, I am allergic! So, I have to buy wasp spray.  It's always something!

Your turn
Remedies for itch that does not involve oils or something exotic? I don't care it is weird right now. I don't need advice on getting rid of mosquitoes and fleas. Well, Anne, I forgot about the branches of hickory trees, but I will get those tomorrow. I hope no one sees the limbs and thinks I am a little crazy.




19 comments:

  1. I hope you find some relief from the itching! I wish I had something that would help, but I think you covered everything I know about. And that heat! 94º is way too hot for me. Hope you can find some relief with AC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      And, the heat makes the itching worse! Yes, have to get a new ac soon. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. I use soap that is soft - like when it has been sitting in a bit of water - scrape it off and spread it over any bites thickly, it will dry and take away the itch. I can't take any of those type of medications and this is the only thing I've found to relieve bites and stop itching- its a cheap and effective remedy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      My soap is high and dry, but I can remedy that. Thanks. I will try my Dove.

      Delete
  3. For mosquito bites, my mother swore by ammonia on a cotton ball, dabbed on the bites. She'd treat our bites every morning when we woke, and evening before bed. I can't remember what it did for the itch, but it sure stung like hell. Perhaps we were concentrating too much on the sting to think about the itch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh. Just re-read and saw what you said about ammonia, so scratch, (no pun intended, really) that. What about rubbing alcohol? When my eczema acts up, and I am out of my prescription medicine, (Clobetasol) I use Noxzema cream.

      Delete
    2. Meg b,
      I just might go ahead with the itch stick that is ammonia and apply it outdoors. This itch is an actual hurt. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Jean,
    Thanks. I do take Zyrtec every day and cannot tell it helps the itching at all. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you buy a cream with a local anaesthetic in it? I got sandfly bites one time and it was the only thing to stop me cutting my legs off.
    Another thing that's easy to try (it might work or not) is heat a teaspoon in some hot water and put the back of the spoon on the bites. It has to be hot but obviously not burn so be very careful

    I hope you find an answer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I am hoping for something for relief of pain more than itch relief because this is painful. Hot spoon sounds good, too. Me too. thanks.

      Delete
  6. I get the bites around my ankles at night at lake or night walks. I plunge into the hottest water I can stand.might be similar effect to hot spoon Kylur mentions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      My bites are mostly feet and ankles with some on calf and a few on arms. Hot water...okay. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. YES!!! Forgot this--run the hottest water you can stand on the area. It will cause all the histamines to run to that spot, which makes the itch intensify for a moment, and then the histamines fade. You will be itch free until your body makes more.

      Delete
  7. Bactine helps me with oak mites and the cortisone helps me with chigger bites. I hope you get some relief soon, its dangerous to have your body fighting when it's so hot. Best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawn,
      Basctine--I will look into that and cortisone. Why is it dangerous? Thanks.

      Delete
  8. I've got lots of bites too. Thankfully the hydro-cortisone cream seems to work pretty good. When my arms got totally bit up a month or so ago I had to break down and take benadryl just to get relief. It knocks me out, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. one,
      I really hate to not be able to walk or think...lol. I have even used the Benadryl cream. Thanks. It makes me feel better when people tell me they suffer, too.

      Delete
  9. I use Vicks vaporub for mosquito bites. At first my DH thought that I was crazy, but changed his mind when I got him to use some. As soon as we notice bites, I rub some Vicks on it. It helps with the itch and by the next day, you'll notice that the bumps have gone down and the redness begin to fade. Heck, I even use Vicks as a repellant. No mosquito comes near me when I wear that stuff...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms goose,
      I do the exact thing--use Vicks for relief and a repellant. NOTHING comes near me when I put it on me to repel biting things. I don't even care if I smell like Vicks in public! Thanks. I needed to hear that...lol.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.