Contact Me

Monday, June 4, 2018

Busy and Frugal and Tired

The crockpot ran for a long time to cook four times.

Cooked hen in crockpot
Cooked ten chicken drumsticks in crockpot
Cooked potatoes in crockpot
Cooked more potatoes in crockpot

It was a long day of cooking, but once each cooking session started, I only had to take cooked food out and put more food in the crockpot. There were hours of wait time so it was not labor intensive. I took the breasts off the hen and froze the rest for him to take home and pick out the meat. Half the potatoes go home with him. The potatoes were cooked in chicken broth.

Washed hair and bathed.

Prepared mail for PO. I managed to take longer than necessary for this tiny chore.

Took clothes from dryer, put wet clothes in dryer or hung them up, loaded up machine, put in dryer  2 times more. Folded and folded and folded!!!

Hung panties on clothesline. Plus, all the clothes in the dryer were not many. Hung more clothes in the house.

I took garbage out twice and went to mailbox. The day is very warm (85F or so) with low humidity and a slight breeze. The walk to trash cans and to mailbox is in the shade, so it was not a warm walk. On high humidity days the walk is suffocating.

Washing dishes is excruciating for my back, so even though I tried, I got few done.

All this involved frugal methods. I love the fact the crockpot makes it possible to avoid the heat and expense of using the oven. Plus, the ac is more successful at keeping the house comfortable with less cost when I use the crockpot.

Not using the dryer and hanging clothes saves money, too.

I can call the trip to mailbox and to garbage exercise.

Nothing exciting here, just frugal wins.

How about at your house? What frugal happenings?

6 comments:

  1. I have not been to the grocery store in over a week, so I am calling that frugal. We have been eating up bits and pieces and odds and ends of stuff trying to make a dent in the freezer before it is time to freeze corn and peas and other delicious summer stuff.
    The crockpot is the best summertime appliance, but I did get an instapot and need to figure out how to use it. I understand it will save even more time and heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      That is frugal! Bits and pieces--what seems to be feeding me, too. Even if I needed food, I have no place to put it for salads. You will have to give us a report om the instapot.

      Delete
  2. I just got a toaster oven to use this summer so I don't heat the house up with the stove oven. I had one years ago but gave it to my sister, but I like cooking breaded fish in it. The fish always came out soggy in the big oven, but was nice and crispy in the toaster oven. Looking forward to that. I have got to start using my crockpots more often too! I love how you used yours. I am also thinking that the heat from the cooking will help dry up the air when it is humid. Or does it work that way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      I went through a phase last year when I really wanted a toaster oven. I got over it and now want one again. The crockpot is still on low and carrots will go into the chicken/potato broth.

      No, it just makes the humid air hot and humid or muggy!

      Delete
  3. Only frugality is non-living.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.