Contact Me

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

31 Frugality Measures at My House

These are frugal things I have done this last couples of weeks or so:

*wash clothes in cold water
*wash full loads when possible
*hang all I could to dry in the house or on clothesline
*use dryer minimally
*eat all leftovers
*use washcloths instead of tp for wet
*eat food given to me--salads and greens, no wasting because it was free
*or give it away to avoid waste
*cut down on driving
*read books from library
*take Styrofoam to Publix to recycle
*use recycling bin, even though I was going to quit
*by owning the means of production--machine to mow, so I get it done my way and more cheaply.
*used crockpot to save electricity
*cooked meat and vegetables for more than one meal in crockpot
*eating from freezer and cabinets
*wasting no produce
*used a few high $ coupons
*use led bulbs to save money
*used led bulb outside the door to cut down on bugs waiting to come inside
*do not flush the commode for #1 every time
*color my own hair
*used a coupon for free haircut
*cut my own bangs
*mending to save buying new
*doing my own pest control
*planting to hopefully produce food
*gave myself a manicure and polished nails
*always style my own hair
*found cheap labor to install new ac
*found free labor to put in water heater when I ever get one

I am quite sure there are other things, but I am tired.

How about you?

11 comments:

  1. I bought a whole box of sweet potato for $5 so we are eating sweet potato at pretty much every meal

    I dry washing outside (don't even own a drier)

    We are not using the heater much at all, sitting with blankets instead

    Dumpster diving continues

    Eating a lot of lentils

    The kids cut each other's hair ( I insist on a professional cut when I get one, haven't had one in 18 months)

    My best money saver is that I qualify for government funding for the braces I'm getting to help my walking (they are worth nearly $3K)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet potatoes are good and good for you. I wish I were dumpster diving. My friend with very curly hair made me cut her hair after I made her trim my long, straight hair. She said it was better than professional cut she got. The braces are the best frugal thing of all. great!

      Delete
  2. We installed Solar with a company for free! Of course nothing is free so we do pay the solar company each month so I guess what we are actually doing is leasing. Our G&E bill was $18 and was only for the natural gas. I have a gas dryer, cook with gas and wash almost everything in HOT....yes our water heater is gas. I am not certain if the way we got the solar is the right way for everyone but I absolutely did not want to go into debt buying a system. We also did a reverse mortgage I was against it for years and years but our financial adviser told us that it is sometimes a way for people to enjoy their retirement on a fixed income. I know it is not for everyone but it has taken a load off of our shoulders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think solar is always frugal, but it is always the right thing to do. Oh, I hope the reverse mortgage works out for you two. I don't know anyone who has gotten one. Well, I probably know the people who have it, but I don't know who they are.

      Delete
  3. I had a routine week, but I figure by going only where it is necessary for me to go I am saving money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      Going only where you need to go is saving money. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. This is a virtuous list indeed; good for you for doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a very good list!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.