Contact Me

Monday, June 18, 2018

More Sanitary in Bathroom and Kitchen

The bathroom had several flies. Well, this grosses me out. For a long time, I have worried about my box of Johnsons Q-tips as they have a little flap where they are open. The other day, I noticed a gnat flying close to the opening.

I think the guy who put in the ac left an entry for flies. Hope to see him soon!

Sunday, I used an amber pill bottle, or rather three amber pill bottles, to secure all the remaining Q-tips. The bottle is about four inches high and about two-inches across. I already have one in my bag with medications so I can use a swab to apply some meds.

I do not want any glass container in the bathroom as it can be so easily broken. Otherwise, I would use a short Ball canning jar. And, I did not want to buy the plastic containers I see for this purpose. Since I don't like the look of the amber pill bottle on the shelf, I will either paint it with paint I already have or cover it with cloth or pretty paper already here. It is behind a lace curtain, but I still do not like seeing the amber bottle.

Also, toothpicks in the kitchen are now kept in a pill bottle. I never use a toothpick for my teeth as I cannot stand the wood in my mouth. So. toothpicks last forever around here.  The paper boxes fall apart. And, the boxes have been dropped, squashed, and pretty much have become useless at holding toothpicks. I have to tape the boxes back together occasionally. I have thrown away so many toothpicks that land on the floor or counter. No more.

Two locations, two uses, two sanitary applications.

I did have a tiny little creamer jar like restaurants used 50+  years ago sitting on the counter with toothpicks in it. Since no one comes here that asks for a toothpick, I got rid of that. Well, I kept the creamer, just not on the counter.

Last night, I had a rough night with no sleep. But, I will be reading others' blogs soon.

Added amusement--When I visited my sister, I needed a Q-Tip. She said they were in the top drawer of her chest of drawers in the bedroom. She had to put them there because her cat pulled them out one by one and scattered them around the house after he got them on the floor.

What do you use to contain Q-Tips/swabs and toothpicks?

10 comments:

  1. I have mine in a see through plastic box with a lid. I keep them in the bathroom drawer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      If I only had a drawer! That would be ideal. I only have shelves with curtains. Will add to post something you might enjoy.

      Delete
  2. I keep my large supply of cotton balls & q-tips in large glass apothecary jars in my linen closet. The supply that I keep on hand for immediate use are contained in two different sized "spice" jars - clear, with white lids and they fit inside my medicine cabinet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Years ago when Son3 was a baby I got a pack of 500 Qtips in a plastic container with a hinged lid. That same container has been refilled for 23 years worth of use. I do keep toothpicks forever. I
    bought them in a round circular plastic thing with a replaceable lid.
    They are still living there in the cabinet. Of course I may have refilled that container too and just don't remember it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne,
    I have never seen QTips in a plastic container. You got your money's worth out of that container. I keep working things forever. While I do have the little cardboard boxes of toothpicks, I forgot I have the little cylinder container, too. A store going out of business had them marked down to a price that was too good to pass up. Shortly after that, the toothpick users were not around. I will always have a toothpick to insert in the center of a cake. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got small, plastic, snap closed containers for Qtips in the travel size isle of a pharmacy and they work well. I keep refilling them. Nothing worse than flies in the summer. I keep the screens in good repair, but they come in when we come in and go out of the house. I also keep and reuse my pill bottles. I put things in them from my sewing stuff. Needles and pins, buttons, hook and eyes, etc. They are also good to keep some collectable quarters. Small emergency kits too. I keep toothpicks in the kitchen in small clay toothpick holders. I also carry them in the car in plastic jars with rotating lids that you can shake one out the then turn the lid to close it again. These are also refillable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got several of those travel size Qtip container for Christmas gifts, the kind of gift with small items. G-son was going off t0 college and g-daughter was the age when she would spend the night different places. I have one for my travel supplies. The clay toothpick holder sounds interesting. I need one of the bottles with the rotating lid. I like to refill containers.

      Delete
  6. I have a little purple glass goblet that contains the toothpicks.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.