Contact Me

Friday, June 22, 2018

My last nerve frazzled, in debt, and in pain

I awoke this morning about 10:30 after not getting to sleep until waaaay after midnight. The sun was coming up if you want to know the truth. 

Exbf came Tuesday, and I only had four hours sleep the night before. We do practically nothing, and I am exhausted for three days. Today, I finally awoke without my skin hurting.

When I opened the refrigerator, there was no light on. I took out the light to replace it but could not find a replacement. Of course, I kept an ear attuned to the refrigerator. NO, it was not working! 

A friend was coming to take something away and then had to go to work. No, he knew nothing about refrigerators and did not have time to check breaker box. Another said he would come at 3:30 and has not called or anything. 

Last resort or first line of defense--electrician. Breakers were fine. So, he pulled out the refrigerator and I found things I had lost. The refrigerator was UNPLUGGED.  For this information, I paid $140. While he was here and for same price, he replaced the outlet. 

I had to borrow most of that, and will never get a water heater at this rate. 

At least, he was very nice.

Now, I have to go check everything in the freezer to see what thawed. I hope my $10 gallon of milk is okay.

Did you ever have one thing after another happen where it drained your wallet, mental, and physical reserves? Does a service call for an electrician cost $140 where you live?

14 comments:

  1. Sorry, Linda. That was not a good addition to your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      Thanks. I awoke feeling wonderful, too. That did not last long. Not a good addition at all.

      Delete
  2. your milk will be perfect, don't worry about it.
    An electrician call out is probably more than that here but I have never needed to call one. I did once have to pay a washing machine mechanic $200 just to press a button and I don't know why because I called the helpline first and did all they told me, surely I could have pressed the button.
    I have had circumstances I thought I could never survive but I did. I hope things improve for you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I doubt the milk off refrigeration for 6 hours will be perfect! But, I do drink soured milk.

      I would have complained to the washing machine company about that.


      That's dark!!! Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Echoing kylie: Electrician (and indeed any technician) call out fees are huge here. And they charge by the hour, not by parts of the hour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC,
      Last year, a service call with expensive guy was $70. So, this was a shock.

      Delete
  4. This too shall pass. Odd that the fridge got unplugged, but hey, you now have a new outlet and some lost things were found!

    I avoid calling out repair people at all cost. Fortunately, both Hubs and I are pretty handy. If we can't figure something out, we google it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something fell off the counter and behind the refrigerator. This was a problem left by the guy who did remodeling in 1977. I cannot believe he is still causing me problems. The outlet box is just stuck into the wall and the outlet cover was stuck on with tar which finally cracked. I am handy just not physically able. Good for the two of you on figuring things out. It helps.

      Delete
  5. Oh Linda! I hope you have a much better day today. I think you wouldn't have been able to check the outlet without pulling out the fridge, and you can't do that. So you did what you had to do! I hope all your food is still OK. It's $160 an hour to get our car fixed. We had a leak fixed last year and I forget what it cost, but it wasn't cheap. I remember that. As for sleeping, I hear you. My nights are mostly "day" after about 3 or 4 hours of sleep. I do nap unapologeticly. I am amazed at the number of people that want to make me feel that napping is wrong. That it may cause sleepless nights. I think sleepless nights are caused by my active brain and I am not going to drag around like a zombie just to sleep all night. My brain wants me up! But then I could be wrong. (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      No, I cannot pull out the refrigerator and it is on rollers so it should be easy. Years ago, I could pull it out. I had to throw away a few things. Good for you with the napping unapologetically! Naps never caused me not to sleep. Now, it really does not matter if I am awake day or night since I have really no schedule. No, I do not think you are wrong. Melatonin helps me immensely with getting to sleep. however, M won't put me back to sleep.

      Delete
  6. try to get some rest today - and see the glass as half full. yes, it was $140 but a new fridge would be hundreds more $$s and you got a new electric outlet from it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CT Bargain Mom,
      I am eternally grateful I did not need a new refrigerator. But, I am too annoyed at friends who would not come and stick a tester, which I have, into the outlet to see if my problem was something easily and cheaply remedied. I am especially annoyed with the person who said he would be here in two hours and showed up four hours later with lame reason. I have to push

      Delete
  7. What a bummer. It often feels like malevolent spirits are working against us to assure we don't have means to save a penny.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.