Contact Me

Friday, June 15, 2018

Overheard in the grocery store

The first instance was in late 2005 or early 2006. I presumed the couple were from NOLA because of their accents, his in particular. I suspected Katrina had thrust them together. He was so happy, appeared in love with the woman with him. He smiled at her a lot and his body language told volumes about how he felt about her. He was tall, well over six feet tall and lean. She was probably 5'5" and seemed to be soaking up his attention. He was effusive; she was silent. He did not touch her or violate any societal norms with his attention, but he was within a breath of her.

"Just buy whatever you want. Anything. Here, let's get potatoes." He heaved a big bag of potatoes into the cart. Soon, he had loaded up the cart with all sorts of good fruits, vegetables, nuts in the shell. Soon, I moved on and could hear him cheerfully talking about the food to get.

She did not seem to return his smiles or body language that would indicate they were a couple, unlike him. He always referred to what "we" will do at home.

We passed each other several times. Soon, I circled back and was shocked when I saw their cart. There were no more fresh vegetables except for tomatoes. Everything else was canned--beans and such. There were dehydrated potatoes and shelled nuts and boxed cornbread mix.

He did not look happy at all, no smiles, no hovering over her in an intimate way. She seemed less stressed looking once she was relieved of the burden of actually cooking.

I certainly wished I could have been witness to the dumping of fresh vegetables and gathering of canned goods, boxed dinners and boxed desserts. The flour was gone but there were canned biscuits.

I wanted to tell him to run fast.

Last week or maybe the week before, I was slowed down in WM by so many carts and "family reunions" and overheard another conversation. An older woman, maybe 60, was pushing a cart and gathering groceries. A younger woman, maybe 35, was with her and a teen girl. The older woman picked a box off the end cap and said, "This is good." The younger woman took the Hamburger Helper from the cart and slammed it back on the shelf.

"Get macaroni and cheese. It's the SAME thing and cheaper." (HH was not on sale, so not a good deal at all.)

Your turn
Do you ever hear funny or telling conversations as you are negotiating the grocery aisles?

8 comments:

  1. Such sad stories you saw snippets of. Such very sad stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC,
      Like you said, "snippets." There may been a backstory to justify, but I doubt it.

      Delete
  2. No, I'm usually in and out pretty fast. Some weeks I go to 4 stores to get the loss leaders. Oh BTW I've noticed a lot of the BOGO deals are now B2GO- no thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      I was trying for in and out but can still hear. The last one was a stuck in traffic thing. Yes, for a long time we have had those bad deals. Hate it.

      Delete
  3. Not a shopping anecdote, but I was on public transport recently and overheard one woman saying to her companion: "Gosh, Sylvia has got to be so fat it's unbelievable. Not that I notice that sort of thing, of course."

    And another from a long time ago:

    Girl One: "She is so conceited. I can't stand her."
    Girl Two: "Well, she is really pretty."
    Girl One: "That's no excuse. I'm really pretty but at least I don't know it."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Endofdays,
      Those are both hilarious. There is just no response to either of those. People are not very self-aware somedaus. Thanks for those.

      Delete
  4. If he wanted fresh food cooked, maybe HE could do it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna,
      I wondered then and since if he was willing to peel those potatoes, do any of the cooking or washing of dishes. I figured she had something he wanted more than fresh food! So, he went along with her ideas without making a fuss. Of course, I did not have time or nerve to see what was going on with their relationship otherwise. That might take up another post to describe the backstory. Thanks.


      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.