Contact Me

Wednesday, June 27, 2018

A Bread Decision

For a week or so, I had no bread in the house. I fought myself not to buy any. I overeat bread sometimes--not always. After I sold the aluminum cans for $1.80, I bought a loaf of bread for $99 + tax, telling myself I would never eat more than two slices each day.


I had one slice at the lunch yesterday. Today, I had another slice and plan to have one in a few minutes--pbj.

I have mostly done this for the last fifty-years--consciously limited bread. Okay, for various reasons, I have fallen off this wagon over the years. Some times, the slip is for a day, a week, or for a long time.

Plans are in place to eat bread--pimiento and cheese, blt, scrambled egg sandwich, peanut butter and jelly, egg salad. However, I will only eat two slices each day.

Your turn
Do you ever decide to limit a food instead of swearing it off forever? What food items do you decide to limit? Are you successful?

10 comments:

  1. I love ice cream and rarely have it around because I eat it too FAST! Also I call crunchy PB a red light food because I will eat a jar quickly so you will never find it in the pantry. I've been following a modifed weight watcher diet and doing well- not obsessing so much about what I'll eat next and eating more protein. I thawed some chicken wings, will bake them and eat them with some homemade cole slaw for the next couple of days.I find a do better with little variety...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nan,
    I don't even like crunchy pb, so it might stay here forever. I rarely buy ice cream because I would eat too much as soon as I could, just like you!

    Having variety seems to make me eat more. I will just eat some of all the variety I have on hand. That reminds me--I need to make some slaw. If I have enough protein, I seem not to want as much to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bread is a food that I limit consciously - I buy an expensive loaf of really good sourdough and put most of it into the freezer as I normally only eat maybe 2 slices per week (I eat low carb) and I prefer it toasted anyway. I also limit pasta & rice for the same reason. But I have supplies in the pantry and will consciously decide to have a meal with these products every 4 to 6 weeks and I enjoy it without any sort of guilt.
    Ice Cream is something that I don't dare keep in the freezer as it would be gone in a couple of days! This is something that I eat out as a treat once in a while - that way I can enjoy a small serving and not worry about pigging out on the leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrgie,
      Bread, pasta and ice cream--familiar story. I do not have room in my freezer, so often bread spoils. I don't dare eat ice cream out. I have an abundance of pasta of all sorts and eat it every two or three weeks and feel no guilt, either.

      Delete
  4. Swearing off any food never works for me. Limiting the amount is easier and one does not feel deprived. I eat bread for breakfast and try not to eat it during other meals. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T'Pol,
      I know. I only want it all the more. I seem to want my bread at noon or midnight. Noon is okay. Midnight is not!

      Delete
  5. I too am a bread lover and have to limit it for weight reasons. PB&J is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheapchick,
      I love pbj ao much. But, I try not to eat it too often. Left to my own devices, I would eat it every day.

      Delete
  6. I am bad at limiting things so I just have to swear off of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am bad at limiting things, too...lol. But, I try. Swearing something off just makes the need stronger.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.