Contact Me

Monday, June 25, 2018

Groceries--June 17-23, 2018

tomatoes, $5
peaches, $6
zucchini, $1
~~~~~~~~
corn
salad
2 half gallons milk, $9.98
half gal orange juice
2 bananas
pint choc milk
chocolate ice cream


I spent around $30 this week. The first three ingredients came from the market. The corn came from the grocery store, five for $2, shucked and ready to eat, silks gone.

I gave up for two reasons. Corn I get from the market sometimes is not full or has a worm. Plus, it is beyond difficult to pull off the shuck and cut the cob. Exbf did do it for me for years, but he cannot stand well. He shucked the corn standing at a table. I just won't ask him to do it. He would struggle to get to the table and back in. I won't ask him.

When corn comes in at the market, I will ask one of the guys to shuck the corn for me. They also shell beans. They do it all day long sometimes. There is an office building nearby. The ladies stop by in the morning and place their order and pick it up before the market closes.

Do your market vendors shuck corn, shell peas? They do this whether I ask or not.

10 comments:

  1. really? I have never heard of the grocers doing this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ur-spo,
      These are the vendors at the Farmer's Market who have grown the produce. Some days, they shell peas all day and have bowls of shelled peas instead of bushels. However, it is possible to tell them you want a bushel of shelled peas and they will bring them the next day if they cannot get them shelled that day.

      Delete
    2. I've never heard of this ether. The bet they do here is to place a large trash can near the corn. The corn here has been really good this year. 5 for $1

      We do not get peas in our markets

      Delete
    3. Janet,
      It may be local and by small farmers. I have never seen a trash can by the corn. It seems corn in the grocery store is full and sweet. Corn is not at the market yet.

      Delete
  2. Nobody shucks corn in Turkey. It is mostly consumed as a snack on the cob either grilled or boiled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T'Pol,
      I have had it grilled whole but never boiled whole. I have seen too many worms in corn to be a fan of not shucking...lol.

      Delete
  3. Most of the corn I buy needs to be shucked, but sometimes I buy it in a package where that is already done (at the grocery store). I've never encountered worms before. I've always just boiled them, but I have had it grilled at other's bbq's. Corn on the cob is my favorite summer food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I love fresh corn. Lucky you to never find a worm in corn!

      Delete
  4. Wow that is some customer service if your vendors are willing to do this. Here that is unheard of. I am hoping to get to our farmers market on Saturday. I haven't been able to go yet as I just have not had time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      About 20 years ago, I came across two guys shelling peas and talking. That is how I found out they did it. They sit the bowl on the table and sell it for same price as a bushel. I hope you get to go soon.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.