Contact Me

Thursday, June 28, 2018

Rough Weather and Food

We had some bad storms today in AL. During all this, 156K in Alabama are without electricity. I hear trees are down all over roads and houses in Birmingham. Something was said about Birmingham being city with second largest number of trees in the US.

In my city, torrents of rain were the problem. I was indoors in a lobby of a one-story building with offices. The rain did not start gradually, but the bottom dropped out and the rain was at its maximum from the first moment. The wind blew the rain sideways, part of the time,  but no trees that I know of were down.

I overate cookies Heath Bar cookies this afternoon, so I will not be eating bread today. Have you ever had these cookies?

This evening, I went to the free dinner. We had pizza, salad, loaded potatoes, unsweetened tea, salad dressing, and individual pies and cakes like Walmart carries. By the time I ate a bit of one pizza, the loaded baked potato, and salad, I did not want to eat the other 3  pieces. However, I did want the loaded potato, so I had more. I definitely over ate from 2:30 to 6:30.

The loaded baked potato was a casserole. I paid attention while eating to figure out what was in the casserole. This is what I think they did. The potatoes were baked, sliced in half and flattened into a huge casserole. Sour cream and butter were mixed together or put on as they were on the potatoes. So much cheese was put on the top and bits of ham or bacon were sprinkled over that. The casserole was covered and baked.  Servings were carved out in squares.

Oh, there were what seemed to be French fries, uncooked, over the top of the baked potatoes. One person said she thought it was potato sticks, the little crispy things. No idea.

Well, that is how I think it was made. Maybe the potatoes were not baked first. I don't know.

The casseroles were catered. The pizza was in boxes from a pizza place, The salad greens were from bags. I did not eat croutons on my salad, but they were purchased, too, I think.
The meal was exceptionally delicious, especially the stuffed baked potato casserole.

I brought home a little peach pie. Pizza is in freezer.  So is the peach pie.

Oh, the heat index was 115 here today because of 94 F and 81 % humidity. It was hot!

Have you ever eaten loaded baked potato casserole or made it? What did storms do in your town today?

14 comments:

  1. That loaded baked potato casserole sounds yummy! Today was the first day all week we haven't had storms in the afternoon, but it was very hot. Supposed to be even hotter this weekend with heat indexes of over 100 and actual temperatures in the 90s. I hope you are able to stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      I think I can duplicate it. We have had rain for two weeks. Same here for the temps and heat indexes lately. I lie still when I can and it is tolerable.

      Delete
  2. It was 96 where I live, but my humidity was 11%

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,
      With that humidity, I would be more than comfortable with 96F temp. When we have a weeks long drought, the humidity reaches that kind of lows, too.

      Delete
    2. But, it is rare our humidity reaches that low.

      Delete
  3. The casserole sounds good! Just overcast and still cool up north here. I guess a little more rain and only 66 today. Nothing like the 90s'-100 we had last summer at this time, which is ok by me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I cannot imagine temps that low this time of the year. Well, it is sunny, so I will take the heat and storms. Thanks

      Delete
  4. That loaded bake potatoes casserole sounds delicious! I would have put in onions too. I would have baked the potatoes, bacon and onions first also. It would take too long in the oven otherwise and everything else would have been over-cooked. It's fun to try and work out the recipe, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      Everything was cooked first. I ate the first helping and enjoyed it. The second helping I savored and discussed with the women sitting at the table. I am still puzzled by the fries in the casserole.

      Delete
    2. The fries are a troubling aspect.

      Delete
    3. tana50,
      By "fries," I mean potatoes in fry shape. They were not fried. I suppose I should have explained that better.

      Delete
  5. We haven't had a storm in England for a few weeks but it's been very hot and sunny, which, being relatively uncommon, has caused all sorts of pandemonium!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. endofdays,
      Hot and sunny causes pandemonium? How so?

      Delete
  6. I sorely miss thunderstorms - proper ones not like the type we get here in PHX during 'monsoon' season.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.