Contact Me

Thursday, June 14, 2018

Ignorance of the Bible is no excuse

If I am not mistaken, the statement below was made by Sessions here to justify taking children from their mothers. One infant was removed from the mother's breast...what I read.

Anyway, the biblical verse below is taken/used out of context.

"I would cite you to the Apostle Paul and his clear and wise command in Romans 13, to obey the laws of the government because God has ordained them for the purpose of order," he said. "Orderly and lawful processes are good in themselves and protect the weak and lawful."

The Apostle Paul was responding to the Roman Christian people often converted from Judaism who complained about the Roman authority over them. In all the years that Jews had been in exile, they were ruled by one of their own. No one who ever captured and took them away had controlled them. One of their own gave them orders. So, when Paul wrote, he was defending the Roman government, telling the people to quit complaining.

 (In POW camps, didn't the highest ranking captured office tell his men what to do?)

The Romans were benevolent protectors of Roman citizens. Since Paul was writing to Roman citizens who were also Jewish, these Jews benefitted from the fierce protection of Romans. NO ONE could bothers Roman citizens without suffering severe consequences. Therefore, the Jews were free to preach their new religion founded by those who followed Christ, making it much more likely the religion could gain ground when the Jewish Roman were protected.

Some have said that Christianity might never have survived and spread the way it did if the Christians had not been free to preach as they did.

Now, I learned this when I was about 16 and now I am 71. I have spread the above message and no one has ever refuted it. If you agree, good. If you disagree, prove me wrong. When you study the Bible, you must decided who said it, to whom it was said, what was the situation, what was the historical context.

I am sure you are well aware that slavery was justified using the Bible. Other things have been proved by misusing Biblical passages out of context

I would love to teach Bible as Literature.

Do me a favor. If you agree with me, will you just say "agree"? You can say more, write more if you please. If you disagree and agree with Session, just say disagree. If you want to explain why you disagree with me or agree with Sessions, you can explain or not.

If you want to respond, respond only on this post. If this is discussed or commented on any of my other posts, I will delete the comment. I am trying to contain this to one post. Thanks.

I cried when I first heard children, even babies were separated from their mothers.

13 comments:

  1. I am an atheist, and I agree with you. People twist and interpret the bible to suit their message. Our country has a history of separating families, parents and their children -- it was part of slavery. I am glad you mentioned this. While I don't live or follow the bible, I respect it and what it stands for. The inconsistencies and twisting the message of the writings annoys me to no end. It is actually fairly clear when you read it as text/literature. I am not a parent, I am not a Christian, and I too am appalled by what is going on. Please keep pointing this out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex,
      I don't think a person has to be a Christian or parent to see how appalling and wrong separating children from their mother is. Atheists I know are as moral as some Christians. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. Echoing Alex. I am appalled at the uses/misuses the Bible has been put to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly never thought the USA would do this, reminds me of the stories and movies of the concentration camps in Germany. It is simply horrifying. The rest of the world is looking on with disgust, dismay, anger....there aren't enough words to describe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The UN has demanded this stop. Horrifying is certainly correct. I am ashamed to say Sessions is from AL, the state where I live. To hide behind Christianity and the Bible is disgusting. Thank you.

      Delete
  4. AGREE!!! I'll be so happy when 2020 is here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am beyond sad that this is happening, and beyond sad that Sessions is using the Bible as his authority. I
    know there are some immigration issues but never dreamed of the day we would be like this. I really feel like I need to open my home to displaced children until someone somewhere rights this wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      It is sad, very sad. I, too, feel like I need to do something. I have made some overtures with offers.

      Delete
  6. Don't come sneaking across our border illegally and you won't have that problem. What part of illegal do people not understand? Separating kids from parents started with Obama, in case you did not know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz,
      I don't think so. This is a link to NPR.
      https://www.npr.org/2018/05/29/615211215/fact-check-are-democrats-responsible-for-dhs-separating-children-from-their-pare

      Wow, that is huge.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.