Contact Me

Monday, June 11, 2018

Stay Away

I hate to be tricked into opening the door. When the guy was mowing, someone knocked on the door. I looked outside by way of slightly moving the door curtain. A woman was there. I told her to back off the porch. She did not want to do so. So, I yelled loudly, motioned, and she backed down one step. Idiot. So, now we are navel to nose.

My porch is larger than I make it to be. However, there is a bookcase pulled near the door so exbf  can use it to lean on as he gets out of the door. The step up to the door is too far. So, I put two cap blocks side by side to make a place for him to step on to get up and down. I have to be careful because it is unhandy for me and makes the place my feet land awkwardly small.

Since the guy was mowing, I thought this might be his wife. No, she was a  religious person and had her little girl with her. Both were dressed in church clothes and shoes and out in the sweltering heat. I did not want the brochure she held out, but I took it out of curiosity. It was for a three-day church convention in a Civic Center 50 miles away. Now, I wonder how many contacts on these cold calls attended that?

Unfortunately, I fear my apparent receptiveness will only lead them to return. Bummer.  I need to put a note on my door.

If the guy had not been mowing, I would have yelled at her to tell me what she wanted. I would have said, "No thanks." I would not have opened the door.

Then, there are the guys with a lawnmower in the trunk of the car. One reeked of bad breath, had few teeth, had not bathed in a week and asked me if I wanted a date. Aaaagh! Unfortunately, I was in the front yard for some reason when he drove up.

Another looked me up and down and asked if I lived alone. "No, my alcoholic father lives with me and just sits and drinks and loads and unloads his gun when he is sober."

How that summer is upon us, people will find many reasons to go door to door.

Maybe I should go out cheerfully with a yardstick in my hand, and say, "Hold on. Let me knock down this wasp nest while I am out here. We can talk in a second."

Do you ever have people come to your door unbidden?  Do you know why the group who visits with brochures sends only women out? How do you thwart the unbidden visitors?  What kind of excuses do people find for coming to your door?

18 comments:

  1. We do get door to door salespeople and bible bashers. Our bible bashers can be male or female.
    If no thank you doesn't get rid of them I have found saying 'please excuse me, I have Diarrhea, and may be contagious' moves them on quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC,
      With the flu outbreak here, I have coughed behind the closed door and tell the person I have the flu. haha That works.

      Delete
  2. We get some sales people on occasions although most of that seems to be phone based these days. A rare Watchtower distributor and sometimes a guy offering to buy the smashed car we had outside for two years. The car is gone now so that should be the end of the car guys

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I had a car I did not use, but it was in perfect condition. That seemed to draw guys here.

      Delete
  3. No, it's one of the few advantages of living in a gated community. Occasionally a couple of JW women will knock and I politely tell them Thanks, I have my own church and they leave. How are you feeling? My sis had a horrible allergic reaction to something- hives and swelling of lips and eyes- but she refuses to see an allergist. She was doing some yard work and thinks that's it but it has never happened before. She did go to urgent care for a steroid shot but that was it. Now she has some cold sore on her lips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      Those women don't give up that easily here. Three tried to just push their way into the house. I am still itching. Plus, I have been sweaty for three days because ac is not working. She did need immediate care, but that needs to be seen. A followup with an allergist seems in order.

      Delete
  4. I certainly dislike strangers coming to my door. I do not open the door unless I know who it is. I also talk through the window. I just keep saying "No thank you." But usually when I see a stranger at the door, I move around in the house so I can be seen, but just don't answer the door. Same with the phone. I don't answer it unless I know the caller. All others can leave a message. They usually don't. Sales persons never let me get a word in anyway whether they are at the door or on the phone. I hate being rude and close the door in their face or hang up the phone so I find it easier not to engage them. No use even talking to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      You are so right about not getting in a word edgewise. That one occasion on Saturday was unusual in that I did open the door. But. I try not to let anyone see or hear me.

      Delete
    2. Hi again. I let the people at the door see that someone is home because in our area there have been incidences where the people on the porch will break into the house if no one is home. They just need to see the curtain move or a form go past the window and they will go away and try another house where no one is home.

      Delete
  5. We seem to get more here in this little town then we did in our old suburb area. One was church, one was satellite salesman another was politician. A couple of high school kids selling tickets to their play. And one was a nice surprise at 7am this past Friday morning. I was like would in the world would be ringing my doorbell at 7am? It was my neighbor from our property - dropping off a vase of fresh cut peonies from her yard, on her way to work :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I would think there would be more people at the door in a town. The peonies would be a nice surprise.

      Delete
  6. We have a locked metal security door between me and anyone standing there. Since we live way off the beaten path on a dirt road, the only people we get are either lost or looking for their stray cows. If anyone makes it past our "Trespassers will be shot" sign, the deserve what they get if they disturb me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tewshooz,
      That is off the beaten path, actually only a path and not even pavement. I would be afraid and would be packing heat all the time. I like your sign. Works for me.

      Delete
    2. I would be more afraid if I lived in town...too many weird people.

      Delete
  7. we get them here now and again, either religious or salespeople who like to start by saying "I'm not trying to sell you anything" lol! I just say no thanks, I'm not interested and shut the door. I have a metal security door that they can't see through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Of course, both are trying to sell you something! I have a metal door, but the door facing is not hardened. I have windows in my back door.

      Delete
  8. Due to the excessive heat here we seldom get strangers at the door. Fascinating: nowadays people announce they have arrived by texting 'Here" so only strangers use the doorbell - a good sign someone here is not one wanted. If I should get an unwanted person I generally am direct with a simple no and close the door no further conversation. If I am being a malapert I leer at them (either sex) and say something suggestive like won't you come in my darling I've been hoping you would come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      I hsve a friend that I tell to give me a call when she gets here. She does not have a cell phone! If I had a suggestive remark or even a suggestive look, I am quite afraid the guy would come in. Some of the women might, just do not know.

      The heat would keep from from venturing ou and hoping someone would answer the door.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.