Contact Me

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

The Birds and the Bees

Image result for bit-o-honey












why can't I center this?

Forgot about the birds. This is all about the bees. BEES! This church has the most interesting programs.

Today was the lunch with a program at a church.  A beekeeper was the program. First the menu:

two butterfly chicken breasts with something delish on them, a blend of spices
largest butter beans I have seen in a while
fried okra
cake squsare, one layer with dab of Cool Whip on top (he gave most of the whip to me)
salad with strawberries
roll
unsweetened tea

Of course, I gave all the fried okra to exbf. He offered me a few butterbeans. Lunch was great. After I took two bites of the salad, my stomach heaved and I almost passed out. I managed not to empty my stomach! A sudden allergic reaction is the only thing I can think of that would have caused this. Since last night I have had a severe case of hives that I cannot explain. I spent the rest of the day dry heaving.

The women who decorate for these meals do a really good job, trying to have a theme for the program. Today, all the paper placemats were bright! yellow. A black napkin was laid catty corner on the yellow placemat.  On top of the black napkin was a yellow bookmark with a black ribbon at the top and a bee stuck on the front.

Every table had flowers and a container, glass or galvanized, with 6 honey sticks and a huge bee and flowers. Our table had a bright yellow and black striped metal container. Another had a yellow watering can, yellow with black polka dots, about six inches tsll. A honey stick is a tiny tube of honey. Strewn on the table around the centerpiece were 6 tiny pieces of candy--Bit-of-Honey.

I thought of Kylie when I saw the decorations. The yellow and black stripes on the centerpieces make my want to paint something with yellow and black stripes.

Do you remember Bit-O-Honey? I ate lots of those today. At the end of the program there were door prizes. All the bookmarks had a bee stuck to the front, the puffy stickers on a sheet. Two of the bookmarks had a bee on the back, also. Those two people were the winners. Their reward was a box of Honey Nut Cheerios. Fun!

Everyone received a 2 0z glass bottle of his honey. Nice.

This guy works a regular job, so he only has about 160 hives.  He eats honey every day, is 85 and looks 60. He says it is the honey.

Do you buy honey from a local beekeeper? Do you like honey? How do you use it? I like it on buttered toast. The price here is $12 quart or $8 pint. What is the price you pay.

12 comments:

  1. I remember Bit O Honey, but they were never favorites of mine. I was never a big fan of taffy type candies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I liked them a lot, but they are not one of my top candies. I had not thought of those in 20 years.

      Delete
  2. Awww, how nice you thought of me! The decor sounds rather more creative than anything I have ever done but I love to hear of effective little tricks.

    My dad has a hive, has had it since I was a girl. The honey from his hive is very strong in flavour so I don't like it in every situation but we have some here. A low grade commercial honey is around $15/ kg. I also love honey on buttered toast. I recently tried a recipe for roasted vegetables with honey and rosemary which was a really nice combination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      You were my first thought. Yes, they were very creative as usual.

      I made a mistake. Honey is $12/qt and $8/pt. I wonder what kind of flowers are where the bees shop. Does he know?

      Delete
  3. I ate Bit O Honey as a kid, but it was always too sticky-chewy for me to eat a lot of. It lasted a long time, though. Love honey and buy it from local and an apiary in Idaho. Only unfiltered and unheated stuff. Honey never goes bad and is antibacterial and so good for everybody. I love it in tea and on white toast (yeah, I know...but I grew up with Wonder bread, so still make white bread). I put honey in my bread recipe instead of sugar for the yeast, too. Supermarket honey is fake crap, mostly from China. Find a local beekeeper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz,
      Yes, I DO buy local. Children under one-year should NOT eat it. Honey is very good and good for most of us. All this makes me want to go eat some right now. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. We buy our honey from a local apiary supply store. We also have several hives, but have yet to harvest honey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B, When do you expect to harvest honey, this fall or next spring? I wish I had bees!

      Delete
  5. I was never a Bit-O-Honey fan. My grandpa loved honey. He would have a slice of bread with butter and honey on it every night with dinner. I wish I liked honey. It's always been a bit too sweet for my taste buds. I do like it in a cup of tea, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I like it, but not enough for it to be in my candy life. It has to be used in a small quantity or put into pb for me to eam it often. I just eat less than honey aficionados.

      Delete
  6. store-bought honey lacks taste. I buy fancy types whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      Store bought is honey and all brands are a bit different. But, getting honey from the local producer will give you the benefit of different flowers, weeds, and trees. Beekeeper said tree honey was best.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.