Contact Me

Thursday, June 7, 2018

A Few Answers and a Few Questions

Today, I went to the Farmer's Market and there were no tomatoes. Bummer. I looked around and got two small cups of crookneck squash. I paid $6 for the two of them. Because I was out and had things to do, I did not go home.

My question: Was the price exorbitant? While I had the bag in WM, I stuck it on the scales--2.64 lbs. That makes the cost per pound $1.52. In WM squash was $.99/lb.

I know all the positives of Farmer's Market--local food, supporting local farmers. However, I know for a fact they use pesticides.

Not bringing the bag home meant I carried a bag of squash into the doctor's office. I did have a bit of a problem in urine, but doctor downplayed it. I cannot think of anything else that causes this malaise in me. I continually have problems with gastrointestinal tract. I feel queasy all inside. So, now I have ten days of meds for uti.

So, after this ten days, I will start taking the prophylactic does of meds to keep bladder sterile. I refused to take small doses without first clearing things up entirely.

My question: have you ever taken a prophylactic dose of meds for uti and not had a full prescription to make sure bladder contents are sterile before you start taking the lesser dose, prophylactic dose?

Since I have been queasy, I have not eaten salads. I feared it would keep me in bathroom more than I already am. So, I gave away more of the salad.

My ac is dying, so I suppose I will, too.  It's a scorcher today, up to 90 already.

The tomato plants I bought had not been hardened off. The seller is not a good liar. He did not even know what it meant to "harden off" a plant. He said in reply to my question and under his breath, "I set them out at night." That did not answer my question.  He quickly and cheerfully volunteered, "I picked off all the suckers for you." WHAT?

These were leggy plants and he had stripped all but a few top leaves off.  Do you pick suckers off plants are a foot high? I think you wait until they are planted and are surviving to even look for suckers. These plants were looking puny, so he pulled off all the leaves that looked less than healthy!--my belief.  This man retired and decided he wanted to make money--what he told me and said he could figure this out.

I bought the red and white onions from him, just took the bag. When I got home, the onions had dirt all over them. I wonder when he pulled these. Did he lay them out to dry? I do not want my vegetables washed because they rot faster, but do you think knocking off the dirt would have hurt? I don't think he laid them out like they are supposed to be done. The dirt seemed too fresh.

Okay, I am going out now to buy a squash plant and a zucchini plant. Hopefully, I can handle the sun and heat to plant them tomorrow along with the two tomatoes and two cayenne plants. Today, it makes me dizzy.

I bought a yellow and a black container of Plaid paint and sponge brushes. In a few moments, I am going to look for things in the yard to paint black and yellow since I was inspired by the bee theme from Tuesday.

Remember the garbage can that was crushed and the guy said someone would bring me another? Well, a brand new can showed up next to the crushed one. The crushed one sort of healed itself. It did not seal itself, but the bottom is not so gapped as when it was crushed. I am going to keep it since it does have a lid. It was the one kept right outside the chicken pen so I could drop things in it after I fed the hens. I did not tell the mower to put the garbage can on the street. I should have told him to empty it like I TOLD him to do in the beginning.

I feel lousy but ambitious!

After I wrote the above, I went out again. Before I did, I used the bathroom and the uti symptoms showed up and I screamed a bit. I am so happy I did not wait until tomorrow.

Plant shopping is so much fun. I love squash and zucchini, but the Farmer's Market vegetables are too large. I just won't buy them. Small ones are the ones I want. If I get 7 small squash off my squash plant, I will have broken even considering the price I paid today for squash.

I bought one crook neck squash plant, one zucchini plant, and one bell pepper plant. Exbf was eagerly listening and gave a little grunt of approval. He like all three. It will be six weeks before it get any produce from them, but that's okay. I will just purchase what vegetables I want until then. Everything I plant will go in buckets, even the squash.

Someone is coming to mow the lawn in the morning...yaaay!


3 comments:

  1. sorry about your uti..I always have lots of those red pills that make that pain go away until the antibiotic kicks in. We don't even have a farmers market here; just a 60 day growing season if we are lucky. We are actually expecting frost on Sat. night so will have to cover my plants. Bummer. I would guess that veggies from farmers market are fresher than the store, aren't they? Hope you feel better soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tewshooz,
    I rarely use those pills. right now, I am taking pills to keep from throwing up! 60 days is not very long for a growing season. We have two and three growing seasons. Even winter is good for some crops. People can harvest one crop and plant another. Yes, I am sure they are fresher. That is a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky lady to have someone mow the lawn for you. It is a task I never enjoyed doing.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.