Contact Me

Saturday, April 28, 2018

Wave Petunias, Vidalias, Meyer Lemon Tree

Wave Petunias

Wave Petunias are the only flowers I ever purchase. I like the pink ones best, but this is the only picture showing how they grow in a basket. I have one hanging basket just for the Wave Petunias. 

I see that there are Wave Petunia seeds at Park Seeds, so I may try to plant seeds this year or maybe next. 

Saturday, I will put the Wave Petunia I got today in the basket. If I am lucky, the seeds that drop will give me petunias for the next year. 

Friday was a day I hoped to get some yard stuff done. The guy who was coming to mow my yard is not coming since he said he would so many times and has not! I could barely get out of the bed on Friday, so maybe this will happen on Saturday.

Since I bought eggs on Thursday night and boiled half of them, I plan to make some proper tuna salad with eggs instead of my half-made stuff. I am excited. I had to have celery to make  tuna salad properly (way I prefer it). Celery is expensive!

Vidalia onions are in the stores, so I have to wash the dehydrator trays, buy onions, chop, and dehydrate. I am so excited. The last onions I had were given to me and were bitter white onions, perfect for cooking with meat, using for most things, just not raw.  But, they are not Vidalias. I just used the last I dehydrated last year, so I am happy to have more this year. I put them in jelly jars, 8 ounce Ball jars. At the minimum, I need 4 jars. More will be good. 

I know that Meyer lemon trees must be brought inside if grown in my area. I also know that they can live in their own little house of plastic outdoors. Well, is that right? lol

I saw a Meyer Lemon about 18 inches tall and wondered how old it is and how long will it be before it produces lemons. 

Friday
I have done nothing today beyond eat and sleep with chills and pain. 

Your Turn
Have you ever planted petunia seeds? Wave Petunia seeds? Have you ever grown a lemon tree? How old is the 18 inch lemon tree? How old must it be to bear lemons? I know what I read on the internet, but I want first-hand knowledge/experience/opinions. 





9 comments:

  1. I love wave petunias but they don't do well here in the heat and always die too soon- or at least it's that way for me. I was hoping you felt better! I love vidalia onions and was about to buy a bag yesterday when I remembered I'm better just buying a couple at a time- they go bad too fast on me. I just put one of those HUGE chicken breasts in a pot with celery and onion to make soup again. I wish 'farmers' wouldn't give the chickens so many hormones- they are not genetically that large! I have a busy day planned so had best get to finishing up here at the computer. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      I was going to suggest putting it in the shade where it is cool. But, they need sun. Maybe inside? I usually buy onions one at a time for the same reason. When I dehydrate Vidalias, I can use ten pounds easily.

      The chickens have been bred to have huge breasts. Sometimes, the chickens get so heavy that they can no longer stand. It makes me sad. I wish I could grow my own chickens to eat. Thanks. Get lots done.

      Delete
  2. I love petunias but haven't got any at the moment but I do have a lemon meyer tree that I was given for Christmas. It is in a pot and already has one lemon growing on it,not sure how old it is but its about 3 ft high. I will have to check if I need to protect it in winter as it gets really cold here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan,
    I read that meyer lemon trees can handle 2-3 hours down to 20 degrees. That is twelve degrees below freezing, so I know mine will have to come indoors. And, your winter is just coming on. You must be excited with a lemon already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is good to know, I probably won't have to bring it in then, maybe just cover it at night to keep the frost off. It is fun seeing it bear fruit so soon :)

      Delete
  4. Those wave petunias are just beautiful. I love to see them in the hanging baskets along the streets. Maybe I need one on my porch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      I have never seen multicolor ones and never so dense. Maybe one on your porch would be just the thing for you. Don't forgot to water.

      Delete
  5. Petunias are the sort of flower that goes into the category 'why bother' with seeds as buying them is easier.
    I adore tuna salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      I agree, but this way I can have more pots of petunias.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.