Contact Me

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

No More Sunday Papers!

I went to WM very late on Sunday night, actually on Monday morning because I forgot to get the Sunday paper during the day. The paper racks were empty. I was a little shocked, but then I remembered there were five coupon inserts in this Sunday paper. Maybe there had been a run on papers.

I commented to a clerk nearby. Two clerks responded, "There will be no more Sunday paper." Before I could faint, they went on to explain that we now have only a weekend edition--in the store on Saturday with coupon inserts in that edition. I had to go to the newspaper on Monday to get my coupon fix.

Furthermore, the local paper will not be delivered ever again. All subscriptions are delivered by the mail carriers. So, all the mail paper carriers lost their jobs just like that. One man who delivered papers had to move from the trailer he lived in because of no income or lowered income.

For quite a few years, there was no Monday paper so the paper people would not have to work on Sunday. I suppose demand led to a Sunday paper that we received until this past weekend. My friend said her father is fit to be tied because his morning paper will be delivered in the afternoon with his 3 pm mail delivery. Some people will have to wait until Tuesday to get their Weekend Edition.

Lots of us are not happy for a variety of reasons over this development. I just wonder how long it will be before we go back to a weekly paper. I think this latest development will result in less reading of the newspaper and cause a further decline in days it is published.

This week there were five coupon inserts, so that was fun. Plus, there were lots of coupons on things I purchase regularly. The best part was coupons that do not expire until Dec. 18! There were only a few and one that expires in June or July.

Someone on the news commented that our county has grown and we now have 80k population. Now, I am sure some of you are gasping at the small population. I did, too. So, we are not a huge, crowded area. Maybe this affected the newspaper situation.

More unemployed persons make me sad.

Instead of taking the Scrubby yarn to the car last night to get rid of its stench, I forgot and left it on a table near me. I awoke this morning to chest congestion that was so horrific. Now, with coughing, meds and an inhaler, I feel better. I cannot imagine having this in my house for long.

Your turn
Are you aware of any changes to the days of publication to any newspapers?  Have you noticed a few coupons with very long expiration dates? 

20 comments:

  1. 80k seems like a lot to me, now that I live in a town of 800 LOL. You can only get the daily newspaper from the nearby city at the gas station and grocery store now, because they can't find anyone that wants the job delivering the papers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I suppose it is all relative. Delivering papers is a sought after job here. That 80,000 is the county, not city. And this is a large county square mile wise.

      Delete
    2. our county is only 4,000 haha. I think it's about 1200 sq miles or so.

      Delete
    3. One,
      That is not many people and a large area.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that is crazy. Although I'd be happy to receive the paper on a Saturday, for deals that might be ending that day.
    We only had 2 inserts last Sunday - no RP for us. We don't even get it delivered to our mailbox. Now stores won't accpet printables that don't scan. I just can't win :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms Goose,
      I thought about the fact I could use the coupons at drugstores that have sales that go off on Saturday night. I had two RP. I have not tried a printed coupon. So many ways to get a deal are disappearing!

      Delete
  3. Our newspaper is only published 3 days a week and has been for a few years and we are talking about a city with a metro populations of around a million people. Newspapers are going the way of the typewriter. It is a dying business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I am shocked. I have only looked at the Birmingham News Sunday Edition in years. I suppose we are just hanging on. Country people need the paper more than people who can use a computer, I suppose.

      Delete
    2. Anne,
      I suppose it is actually older people who cannot use the computer who will miss the news. But, there is something about settling down with the paper to read.

      Delete
  4. Our newspaper ran a rather lengthy editorial on how the price of newsprint was increasing. Apparently it is made in Canada by only a couple of companies and producing enough is difficult. It stated that the cost to subscribers was going up, so they were seeking ways to 'tighten up' the layout so as to use less paper, eliminating a couple of special interest inserts by printing with the regular paper, trying to increase ads to cover more costs, etc. As I've mentioned before, I read the paper on line so my cost is $6/mo compared to $21/mo for home delivery and that price is going up June 1st.

    I'm afraid the print newspaper, as with many magazines, is going to be just a fond memory. The cost of the newsprint, machinery, staff, etc is getting to be exorbitant while the e-editions are so much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trump's tariff on Canadian imports are doing a number on our newspaper prices.

      Delete
    2. Another short editorial on cutting costs of production - the paper is eliminating one page from the daily paper, TV listing and State by State. From the Sunday paper it is eliminating the TV weekly insert, about 16 pages. If you want the insert it will cost $1. This will eliminate printing something people don't want. The tariff increased newsprint cost by 34% - that's quite a huge increase.

      Delete
  5. I stopped taking the paper years ago because they dropped all the columns that I read. The sports pages were the largest section and I don't follow sports. I feel people our age are becoming disenfranchised with lots of things. But then in some ways I don't mind it because there are parts of our culture that I don't wholly approve of anyway. But I do miss my morning paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      I certainly won't buy a paper for the sports page. Yes, in many ways we are being disenfranchised! I would miss the coupon inserts!

      Delete
  6. In my area they still are selling the newspaper but because business isn't good, they decided to raise the cost to $3.00 for the Sunday edition. I look each week to see if it is worth to buy the paper now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      $3 is too rich for my blood! Thanks for that.

      Delete
  7. Our newspaper prints a free daily version (M-F) of their paper that they just announced would go to once a week directly due to the tariffs recently put on Canadian newsprint. So many people love that paper and it almost has everything that the paid newspaper has. Disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy,
      That is a shame. I imagine other publications will be eliminated or pared down. Disappointing is correct.

      Delete
  8. I haven't read a real paper in years other than some left behind in coffee shops. They seem badly written.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      I read little in our local paper. And, when I read a big city paper, I have read most of the news articles on the internet. And, I feel the same way about the writing.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.