Contact Me

Saturday, April 7, 2018

Saturday: Drug Take Back, Sorghum, Country Music

Saturday morning, I dropped off nearly a full bag of shredding fodder. That was a relief to get rid of that mess. I usually rip my name from all sorts of junk mail and drop that into a bag for shredding. I take the rest of that item and put it into the regular trash. However, some envelopes are full of personal information and identifying numbers, so that goes whole into recycling.

This is the third shredding event that I am aware of. I missed the first one and forgot about the second. So, I was hyper-vigilant for the last month, keenly aware that their semi-annual event should be happening soon. I suppose the next event will be in October.

Since this will happen in six months, and today's event is in my day planner, I will be ready. They also had a drug take back today, along with an old electronics collection for destroying these items, and a food drive for one particular food bank. The Lion's Club and police were out in full force.

I didn't realize the Farmer's Market would happen today. I stopped and got a pint of sorghum for $7. Of course, I had to have a taste as soon as I arrived at home. The taste was a taste from my childhood. I think Mama sometimes cooked with sorghum. Or, I had it on buttered biscuit. I don't remember having it often. Maybe I had it at my Mississippi great aunt's house. It will be better the next taste because I had just swallowed the last of a chocolate cookie when I tasted it today.

This afternoon, I got my prescriptions filled and picked them up at WM. I could barely find a parking place and got the last electric cart. I had to wait a long time at electronics to get help with my internet payment. It seems I was late with a payment when I put it on auto-pay. I don't think so, but I cannot imagine what actually happened. Then, they just take a payment from my account and I still have a charge which generates another late payment. So, I paid the late payment and the regular payment will come out of my bank account with auto pay.

It was impossible for me to use my phone to talk to anyone at AT&T because 611 or any of the payment numbers generated a voice that tells me I am up to date when they find the account attached to the phone number I am using. Then, the little automatic voice tells me goodbye and hangs up.  No, I am not up to date. So, that was fixed. Now, I really am up to date.

Tonight, I went to an event for those over 50 from 6 pm to 9 pm. A country band played. People danced. Admission was free as were all concessions--hot dogs and fixings, cookies, chips, brownies, tea, water or coke. There were two door prizes, all without having paid for admission. There was a donation jug. Another jug was there for a dollar with your name written on it to be deposited. The person whose dollar bill was pulled from the jug got half of what was deposited in that jug. The non-profit got the other half.  The winner tonight got $24. I did not participate because I had to the dollar what I needed to pay a bill Monday.

The music was not all old country but it was excellent. The band was very tight. Someone requested "Wipe Out" about 8:30, and the band did a great job. One woman did the best dance I have seen to this tune. I thought she was going to hurt herself with all the shimmy and swim she performed along with other steps and moves.

I will be going back. Hopefully, the guy who had not bathed and wore the grimiest Alabama hat I have ever seen--all.night.long! will bath next time.

A guy sitting near me asked me if I danced. I laughed and told him that I used to dance a lot and well, but now I would have to use my walker.

One guy came in with a leather or leather-ish bag. I wondered if he had brought something to flavor his Coke. He unzipped it and took out his dancing shoes. So, did his wife--nude with stacked heel and two straps. I have seen about four of these couples present tonight, all excellent dancers, at other dances.

That was my so busy Saturday, and I am exhausted.

Do you ever buy or use sorghum? How? Did you eat it as a child? Do you like old country music well enough to go hear it free? Would you dance?


4 comments:

  1. The couple dancing? I had to laugh. I thought you meant the wife was nude! Then I figured, it wasn't that type of dance, and it was her shoes that were nude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      You made me laugh, choke, cough, and lose my breath! No, it was NOT that kind of dance. I would have been out of there sooo fast.

      Delete
  2. that sounds a groovy day indeed.
    I am all for shredding everything possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      I still have paper to sort. If I take it to the bank in small increments when I am that way, they can help out the cause as they will shred it, too.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.