Contact Me

Thursday, April 19, 2018

Car Battery, Crockpot Fail

Wednesday

I had an appointment to get the oil changed but had to call and cancel. I was going to go to the doctor but the doctor was not there, just the nurse practitioner.

Wednesday about 6:30, I decided I would go and get a refill I forgot to order from WM. So, about dusk I went out to get mail and some junk from the car. The automatic lock was not working, so I decided to go to driver side and lock it from that side. It puzzled me as to why the lights were not on in the car. Remember, I had a fever, was staggering about, and nothing made sense.

The battery was dead. I called friend around the block and left a message on his phone, asking him to jump off my car. Then, I sent a text. I called another friend and asked her if she were coming into town in Thursday. She agreed to drop me off at doctor and come back after her chores in town. All this if I could not get car to start.

He came with his 10 ft. jumper cables and it started easily. I suppose the dome light was left on. He said his car died in his carport and his old jumper cables were not long  enough, so he resorted to buying the 10 ft. cables. Thankfully, the drive to WM was enough to charge the battery.

I had less than five minutes before the pharmacy closed. I hate to have to hurry so, especially when I am sick and feeling woozy. I made sure I broke no laws.

So, now I have to catch her in the morning before she leaves to get me. She has no cell at the moment. Well, first I will have to check in the morning and see if the car starts. ugh. I hate this stuff when I don't feel well.

Thursday

The car did start at 8:30 this morning, so I called her, telling her I could get to the doctor on my own. Now, I must find the energy to go to the doctor. Since I will probably have to pick up a prescription, I will grocery shop while at WM.

I still have an ear infection and the uti. I left the doctor's office with four prescriptions and an injection. I was not sure I could actually drive there safely. When I was at Walmart getting my prescriptions, I bought a new crock pot. Yes, the one I bought this year bit the dust.

Inside the crock when I first washed it was a little glob where the side met the bottom. Then, it was white not black like the rest of the pot. I was afraid the glaze coming off would expose me to lead. Besides, even if it were safe, which it was not, maybe the crock would be compromised and would crack or explode while in use.

The crockpot I won is not in use since I cannot lift it empty, much less full. It would be impossible to wash.

Have you ever known anyone to go through so many crockpots? It is not like I abuse them. Does anyone know anything about the car chargers that you can keep in the trunk? I know they exist, but does anyone have a history with one or know what I should look for or avoid?

10 comments:

  1. I went through a few crockpots in the first few years. Now I have one that is really too small but it just wont die!

    I know nothing about car chargers you keep in the trunk but I am pretty good at a quick clutch start

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the 4 qt., but there is only me. I can do that, but I have no clutch and no hill or someone to push.

      Delete
  2. I hope you start feeling better, it's just lousy to have to get through chores when ill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing is, I am doing few chores, and things are piling up.

      Delete
  3. I've been through several crockpots and could use a new one now as mine mysteriously got dented, though it still works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      If it works, I would keep it. Well, if the crock is intact, I would keep it.

      Delete
  4. I have had the same crockpot forever. I bought it at Walmart about 20 years ago for 5 bucks. It is ugly and on the smallish side, but it will not die!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I think I only paid for one, so far. Having to return them is a pain. I think that $5 was well spent.

      Delete
  5. I had one of those car chargers that you can keep in the trunk but it did not keep a charge (ironic). Not sure if this technology has improved, but the money you spend on one of those might be better spent on a new car battery. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      Hmmm, that does not seem right. Maybe I need an alternator. Thanks. I have felt awful for so long.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.