Contact Me

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Red Heart Scrubby Yarn Stinks


RED HEART E833.0936   Scrubby Yarn, Waves
And, I am not throwing off on the quality of the yarn. It literally stinks, smells awful.

I heard people in WM talking about it at the fabric cutting table. They were singing its praises. One woman said she saw this yarn made into squares that guys bought to wash vehicles.

So, I rode around and got a package. As I was looking at the skein and reading, I noticed a strong odor. The yarn is 100% polyester. One woman smelled it and said it smelled like rubber. At any rate, I am not going to hold this in my hands to crochet. The odor is something that is not conducive to good health, in my opinion. I could feel it in my lungs.

Can you see the little threads that provide the roughness for cleaning pots, dishes, and vehicles?

When I got home and took it out of the bag, everything in the bag smelled. Today, it is two feet from me and I can still detect a very strong odor. But, today, it smells like chemical and poop.

I am returning this skein. Mine is yellow, apple green, and hot pink.

Has anyone crocheted or knit with this yarn? Was the smell off-putting? Toxic smelling?

6 comments:

  1. Well now I know not to buy it. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex,
      Had you planned to buy it? I will take this back tomorrow!

      Delete
  2. Sounded like a great yarn until you mentioned the smell. Checked reviews on Amazon and they were good until about Dec 2017 - Feb 2018 when the terrible chemical smell was mentioned. Could it have been a bad batch, a change in what was used?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      I wondered about the smell of the other skeins, so I went back to the display and smelled one each of all the other colors. They all smell. If this were true, a bad batch, not all would smell so toxic.

      Delete
  3. Now why on earth would people make stinky yarn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      I don't know. Why would people make stinky clothing. I cannot abide the smell of anything made of acrylic, either.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.