Contact Me

Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Food Score

This doesn't happen often. And, I still have to buy food. Unfortunately, my last gallon of milk cost me $8.79. So, this helps me to be able to drink milk.

food I chose at food bank

3.8 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
pound of breakfast sausage
4 huge baking potatoes
4 ears of corn
3lb. bag of onions
apple pie
breakfast bread
6 huge Kaiser rolls
can of black beans
2 short pkgs. of Pringles
half gal. of a2milk !!!!
box of radicchio lettuce
bag or Romaine/radicchio mix
extra large box of Honey Nut Cheerios
glass bottle of salad dressing
4-pack of small individual carrots/peas
Things I forgot:
3 peppers, one each of yellow, red, orange
sliced bakery bread


I was allowed to choose all of this. "You can have two meats" Then, they read the list on the white board on the refrigerator front. I could have had bologna or lots of kinds of lunch meat. The ground beef was gone as was the ground pork. I think this is the first time I have ever gotten boneless, skinless chicken breasts there. All the other bscb I cook, I pay for, hopefully on sale.

When I went in, the woman said to me, "I knew you were coming today." When I asked her how she knew, she said, "We have a2milk, and you are the only person who asks for it or knows what it is." I had just that day  bought two half gallons even though I  had a part of another half gallon at home. SO, I have milk--almost two gallons. It will not go bad before I consume it. I could have chosen oj or cottage cheese.

I could have had lots of snacks, boxes of things like mac 'n cheese, cookies, cake mixes or canned food. The only reason I chose the one can of black beans is that I do use them. Otherwise, none of the boxes or cans were things I eat normally or things I needed.

Please don't think this one day of food each month leaves me with an abundance of money to spend elsewhere. Since I chose all of this instead of just being given a box, I will eat every bit of these groceries. I did give exbf one short can of pringles, 3 rolls, and 1/2 the apple pie. I came to my senses and gave him the Cheerios. I would finish off the box way too soon. At the time, it was the best of the choices on that shelf.  The woman points to a shelf and says, "You can have two items of this shelf"  or "1 item off this shelf."

The produce is in boxes on their floor. The office is so small that we all have to shuffle around to access things like the two refrigerators, shelves, and the produce.

When I got home and unloaded it all, I had four half gallon milk cartons, three full and on half full. I had also just bought potatoes, so there was an abundance of potatoes.

I actually have not bought food this month other than a loaf of bread at the bread store, milk, and the $1 frozen item. I am also not capable of cooking right now and have not eaten much.

The only reason I even admit to going to a food bank and listing the food is that people are under the impression that a person can only get unhealthy food. Actually, I have gone to another and gotten a box of food that had maybe 75 items and I gave away 65 items, 50 of which were not healthy and 15 I did not like.

Not all are like this good one. You have to actually find these.

What are your thoughts on my choices and the whole haul?

18 comments:

  1. It appears that your food bank operates in much the same way as the one I support. The only times that clients are not allowed to choose food is if it is an emergency visit (this would be a first visit, and there is no application on file, so they get an emergency kit x' # of dependents) or if our stores are just too darn low, which usually happens in mid-winter. I would like everybody to know about these services...ours never, ever turns anybody away. If you can't get to our food bank, you can call, and a driver will come pick you up.
    I support this establishment in a myriad of ways, not the least is by shopping in the thrift shop which finances it. I always shop there first when I have a clothing/household item/furnishing need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      This is the first I have heard of a food bank picking up anyone. That's great. Do you have a blog? Where are you located, state/area not street address.

      Delete
    2. No blog, I'd rather read all of yours. Actually, I dislike technology too much to make mine interested. I am in the PNW, but I've lived in many U.S. regions. It's not unusual to find food banks which provide transportation in this region, (I've lived all over) but the rub is finding out about these services.

      Delete
  2. You made wonderful food choices, congrats to the food bank for being able to offer them. Don't know anything about the choices at the myriad of food banks in this area except that now is our time, snowbirds have gone home, for the shelves to be somewhat bare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      Thanks, I try. Why are the shelves bare after the snowbirds leave?

      Delete
    2. Because the snowbirds contribute heavily to the food banks but don't use them. So when they leave, the need is still there but contributions aren't.

      Delete
    3. Bellen,
      I see. It is great they are helping while they are there. It's too bad they cannot be persuaded to help year round.

      Delete
    4. I imagine that they contribute to the food banks in their home towns once they arrive home.

      Delete
  3. Our family service/food bank works thi way as well. It i wonderful and laid out like a grocery store. I am proud that my communiyty invested in a space that allows people to shop for their needs andpreferences, and though that has less waste I a sure. You made great choices. You said the milk ill be ggood though your use, but does that kind of milk freeze well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      I have heard of food banks laid out like a grocery store. The problem is that I don't have room in the freezer for anything, not even ice cube trays. Since my big freezer broke, I only have the one over the refrigerator.

      Delete
  4. Nice food haul!
    I am glad there are many food banks and pantries around here and glad I am able to give to them. I used to volunteer at one, but I can no longer lift some of the heavier items. (I do remember when I could throw a 60 pound bag over my shoulder. Those days are gone)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I can even give to food banks, especially the Little Free Food Bank that is outdoors. Plus, I give what I don't want to people who need it that I know.

      There are people who do other things other than heavy lifting. I told one place that I could sit at the table and sign people in since sometimes they are short of help.

      I'm not sure I could ever throw 50 pound bag over my shoulder. I could, however, hug it to my body.

      Lots of my better and stronger days are gone.

      Delete
  5. It’s amazing what you could make with this stuff. As you know Im no chef but chicken, onions and canned veg goes a long way. Left overs can be turned into soups. In fact my husband uses a French recipe to make soup from left over lettuce.
    JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me,
      I never use leftovers for soup. There are never any leftovers because I eat leftovers until they are gone. I did put chicken in a bowl of lentil soup for exbf's lunch so he would have meat with his meal. Soup from leftover lettuce sounds interesting. I've never heard of that before, but I suppose it is like using kale in beans.

      Delete
  6. That looks like a great list of food items to get!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, milk, chicken, and salad greens made my day. I don't think I have ever gotten all three in one day.

      Delete
  7. I think you made sensible choices! It is great that you were able to get both the Chicken and the milk. Around here, the store shelves are emptied of anything with Romaine, due to some sort of recall. You will also make good use of this food, so I think it's great that you post what you choose and what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex,
      I could have gotten liver cheese instead of the chicken...lol. I suppose I have not had liver cheese in over 50 years. It is not healthy.

      It is embarrassing to say I get this food. I need to see if this romaine is on the recall.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.