Contact Me

Thursday, April 5, 2018

Dice and a man with a drill

Wednesday, I played Bunco for the first time in over 40 years. It was fun, but not as fun as it was in 1974. It was tiring to sit on plastic chairs for 1.5 hours.

Today was a glorious day with blue sky and few clouds. However, even though the sun was warm, the wind was fierce and cold. Oak tree turned everything yellow. Consequently, I did not get in the yard to do anything with my "garden."

My friend came over and took out the trash. I have a largish can with wheels. The lid was in horrid shape last week, so I put it in the trash. I can use it without a lid, but the bottom is intact so there was six inches of water in the bottom. By drilling holes in the bottom, I can still use it with trash bags.

I try to never throw trash in without it being in bags, anyway. People who throw bits of trash in the can just cause bits of trash to litter the neighborhood, or, more specifically, my yard and street where I have to pick it up.

Now, since it has holes in it, I can use it to plant potatoes. Then, I can just turn it on its side on a tarp and rake out the potatoes. I have two other trash cans, but neither of those have wheels. They do have holes in them from dragging them, so water does not accumulate. One is for the chicken yard. The other was bought in 1968.

He took out recycling bin, too. I have things for recycling that I must get out there in a bit. Plus, I do have a bag of garbage that is light, so I can carry it out to the road.

He used his drill to put a hole by the door for a screw hook. I can put the key safe there so I can actually grasp the door knob to get into the house. The bolt on the key safe is so large it hinders my grasping the door knob. It makes getting up that high step into the house unsafe. Done now.

I finished reading the book I won Tuesday. It was interesting and a keeper.

Your turn
Do you play Bunco? Have you ever planted potatoes in a garbage can?


11 comments:

  1. I played Bunco years ago too but it's still around here- the clubhouse has a BUNCO group that meets regularly. They are always advertising for new members but since I work and go to bed early, not interested. It was fun back then though. I'm trying to decide what I want to do today at 5:30 AM. I am making chicken broth from bones and have plenty of leftovers in the fridge so really don't need to cook today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      That is pretty early to be making decisions....lol. When I moved here, no one seemed to know what Bunco was. I wish I didn't have to cook today. Maybe I can think of something.

      Delete
  2. I have absolutely no idea what Bunco is but I like the idea of winning a half decent book! I tried to grow potatoes once, they were very very small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      Bunco uses 3 dice, card table with four people. Each throws to get a 1, after 21 is reached, then they roll for a 2, and so on. It moves quickly. There is extra points for rolling three of a kind, and for winning at a table, and for Bunco--throwing 3 of what you are on presently, like 1 or 2 or whatever. They had a box game--Bunco--so obviously this can be found somewhere with all supplies and rules. We had three card tables of players minus 1. Some days, they say they have more people.

      Delete
    2. kylie,
      Any potato you grow, especially with a potato full of eyes, is good. Small is okay.

      Delete
  3. I have never grown potatoes in a garbage can, but have neighbors who grow theirs in 5 gallon jugs. I HAVE drilled holes in the bottom of a kids' plastic picnic table. My DH found it beside a garbage can on trash day years ago, with a "Free" sign on it, so went back with our truck to take it home. It had water inside it, so he drilled holes in the bottom of the legs to drain it. A good scrub down, and that thing sat in the center of our family room, serving the kids well for a number of years, until we passed it along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I do have the 5 gal buckets that I may use instead. Maybe I will use both. That was a great save on the picnic table. All those plastic toy things that have been outdoors seem to have water in them.

      Delete
  4. I've never played Bunco or planted potatoes. That was nice of your friend to come and help with those things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would have to find a group or form a group. Oh, maybe you could play with husband or something.

      Don't try to dig up dirt. Planting in a bucket or large containers would yield lots of potatoes.

      Or, maybe you don't want to do either...lol.

      Delete
  5. We have a neighborhood bunco group and they play monthly. I have played with them but prefer strategy games over games of chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I agree with you about preferring strategy games. When I first played this years ago, I was glad to get out of the house and with friends. This time, these women are too serious, well, one in particular.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.