Contact Me

Friday, April 6, 2018

Books, Shredding, Paper

The one thing I enjoy better than a book is a free book. I found a cache of them, all meant for consumption by seniors. They are donated to the senior centers/locations around town. From the few titles I was able to see, I really doubt there will be anything to interest me. I cannot think of any of the titles right now. When I go back to look, I will list a few titles/authors. I did notice there are multiple copies of some titles. The books can be returned or kept. They had a sign on the door saying they would accept no more book donations.

I went to the library and checked out two books and finished one on Friday night. I read 275 pages today. The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner is a true story, memoir, of living in a polygamous community in Mexico. The book starts when Ruthie is five-years-old and ends when she is thirty-seven-years old. I will tell you no more. I highly recommend this book.

That makes two books I have read in 3.5 days. I am really enjoying being able to read without eyestrain.

Earlier tonight, exbf said maybe reading more would help me to go to sleep. I am the last person to ever get drowsy with a book, even a boring book. I have been known to read all night. As the night wears on and I read a book, I become more alert.

Tomorrow will be exciting. The Chamber or someone is sponsoring a Free Shred day. I have about a brown paper trash bag of items to be shredded. This last week should have been a push to sort older items to shred most of them. But, this antibiotic makes me feel ill.

Since I did not want to own a shredder, I bought a fire pit, thinking exbf could burn them. Maybe another time we could use wood and make smores. No, he did not want to. He never said so, he just never did it.

Paper is my nemesis. I found a plastic file folder of cancelled checks from 1990. One account was a personal account and the other was my business account. All were labeled. I resisted the urge to look at them for weeks, fearing I would find something I needed to keep. Finally, I opened one envelope and found a check I wanted to keep and a number of a place I ordered material wholesale. The check has been saved and the number written down in a permanent place and the original paper with the number was put into the shred bag. I do not dare open another envelope of cancelled checks because I fear I will keep something else. It is done.

The only thing I bought today was two Roma tomatoes. I think my wants will be less when I can read.

Your turn
Are you also a voracious reader of books? Does reading make you drowsy or more alert? Do you shred or burn? Do Senior Centers near you have donated books to give away? Do you find that paper overwhelms you?


6 comments:

  1. I read - a lot. Usually 3-4 books a week. I have a list, actually several lists sorted by category, to read that will keep me busy till I'm 150.
    I shred but only my name/address and any other personal info that would ID me - not whole pages unless necessary. Where I live in FL our county & the surrounding counties have a 'no burn emergency rule' in effect due to drought. This even includes very specific guidelines for using outdoor grills.

    Paper used to overwhelm me until about 8 years ago when I started taking care of it on a daily basis. Most gets put in the recycle bin, ID info gets shredded. Many of my bills I receive electronically. This year I will dump/shred my 2010 tax return. Every year when I get the new insurance paperwork I dump/shred the old. I read the newspaper and magazines on line so that eliminates all that paper. My must keep stack of paperwork is about 3" - insurances, mortgage, house title, wills, medical POAs, living wills, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bellen,
      We cannot burn at all, ever. It is a city ordinance. However, if people can use these firepits for fun, I will use it for a practical use. Everyone does. The fact that they have the screen makes them safe. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I read the rules for using outdoor grills - don't use next to a structure, don't dump the coals on the ground, don't leave it unattended. Are these rules really necessary? Maybe people really are that dumb. I like the idea of a fire pit - will have to look into it.

      Delete
    3. Bellen,
      People are stupid.

      Delete
  2. I'm like Bellen. Paperwork used to overwhelm me, but what does come in gets taken care of right away now. Now that I pick my mail up at the post office, most of the time I just dump the junk mail in the garbage can they have by the door on my way out. LOL. I get 90% of my bills online, so no bills laying on my desk. Paper are the one thing that can get away from me and start piles of clutter, if I'm not careful. It took quite a few years to get myself changed in habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      I saw a neighbor get out of his car after work, get his mail, and throw it all in the trash. Some of my junk mail has my name in several places inside, so I have to disassemble the whole envelope and inserts to rip my name out of the pages. Exbf was still commenting on the time I put him to work on four envelopes with my name and address all inside. So, I would never dump most of it without ripping out info inside and out to identify me.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.