Contact Me

Thursday, April 26, 2018

Cooking Blindly--Savory Cinnamon Raisin Bagels

After I arrived home from the cardiologist, I decided to fix something that was fast because I was exhausted. I had one Cinnamon Raisin Bagel that was not long for this world. So, I decided to add more cinnamon and sugar after I split and buttered it. I reached for the cinnamon bottle or at least where I thought I had put it. It's taller than other spices, so not to hard to spot.

After reaching and not really looking for or at a label, I vigorously sprinkled it on the bagel. It did not come out in powder form but in flaky form. Ack! I was sprinkling Italian seasoning on my bagel! The reason I was putting more sugar and cinnamon was because these bagels have only the slightest hint of cinnamon. Well, what to do??

I could just go with the savory bit and sprinkle cheese on it. But, I was in a cinnamon mood. I just put lots of cinnamon on top of the Italian seasoning and a moderate amount of sugar and put the top without Italian seasoning and bottom with Italian seasoning under the broiler. Thankfully, I only put the Italian seasoning on one half.

Naturally, I ate it first so the perfect one would be the last thing I ate. I would not recommend this. The taste was not ruined by the Italian seasoning. It was okay. But, the second half was what I enjoyed the best.

Then, I wanted eggs. I got out the carton of eggs I bought before Easter that had not been opened. When I picked up the first egg, I noticed it was sitting in liquid. ??? I checked the bottom and all around the egg. It was not dinged. Sometimes, a broken egg gets into the section where the next eggs sits.

One by one, I picked up the other 11 eggs. All were sitting in liquid, the white of the egg. The surface of each egg had one tiny hairline crack. Frozen? They were on a bottom shelf near the door opening. Nothing ever freezes there! So, I am out a dozen expensive eggs. I have the idea it happened at the store, but I cannot prove it. Today, I will get more. I need the protein as I ate the chicken I cooked. Plus, I love boiled eggs.

Don't suggest I do something so I can see the labels of my spices. Ain't happening. I usually look at each label, but I was exhausted. I never re-season cinnamon raisin bagels, just this package.

Aha! it is almost 3 o'clock and I realize the free dinner is tonight. So, by the time I get bathed and dressed, go to the store and buy eggs, bring them home, it will be time to go there and eat.

When I remembered the Thursday dinner was tonight, I decided to stay here and rest, go to the dinner, and then to WM for eggs.

The dinner was tacos or nacho chips with choice of toppings--cheese, queso cheese, black olives, black beans, pico, tomato, lettuce, onions, guacamole, and other things I cannot remember. Each person gets a small piece of paper on which to circle what you want--sort of a menu. I also chose unsweetened tea. Little piggy that I am, a had a cream cheese pie slice and tiny piece of cake or brownie with pecans in it. It looked like cake but was brownies, I think.

That makes tacos twice in one week. It was good, it was healthy. I am happy. No complaints!

The free clinic here in town had volunteers manning a table with information and bp check, blood sugar check, and BMI. Since my bp was so high yesterday, I took advantage of that and was pleased with the numbers--123/74--I think. It is usually better.

At each place setting, there was a coupon/card for $2 off Moe's. I am not sure what Moe's is, what type place, but I am going to look it up on the internet when I finish here. It was a nice little surprise.

I think I will go boil eggs!

Tomorrow, it will be sunny and dry. I have plans in the yard, so hopefully I will get a few things done.

Have you ever tossed the wrong ingredient into or onto your food, causing a minor cooking crisis?

11 comments:

  1. I have used the salt instead of the sugar - not pleasant! I have my seasonings separated by herbs & savoury in one place and spices for baking (more sweet) in another spot - plus I have a label maker so I can spot things more clearly.
    I know that you aren't feeling very well and are often exhausted so I've always wondered why you seem to be out to WM or other places sometimes more than once a day for just 1 or 2 things. Would it not be easier for you to just go once a week - and also save gas money?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margie,
      You obviously do not understand exhaustion. I don't say everywhere I go. No, it would not be easier. And, I spend very little on gas. You have no idea how conservative I am.

      Delete
    2. I only made the suggestion as I have RA and Fibromyalgia plus other medical issues and one way I've found to manage the pain & exhaustion (which I understand very well), is to group errands as much as possible and to ensure that I have days off in between.

      Delete
    3. email me for further info.

      Delete
  2. I love hard boiled eggs too! I slice them and put them on toast for breakfast. I also make deviled eggs and egg salad for sandwiches. I am too lazy to make them tonight, but I will do them in the morning. Thanks for the tip! Haven't had any since Easter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      I eat eggs as--deviled, egg salad, in tuna salad, potato salad, sliced on bread with MW, and just plain out of hand. LOVE them. Thanks.

      Delete
    2. I forgot my favorite--SCRAMBLED.

      Delete
  3. I have shaken out the wrong condiment too! It shocks me to realize how poor my vision is without my glasses on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alex,
      I had on my new glasses! No excuse there. I was hurting and distracted. One time, I dumped the whole box of cinnamon in green beans because I did not like this guy who called me. I told him I was cooking and needed to go. He argued about my hanging up, and I just dumped cinnamon in the green beans. I tried to salvage them, but ended up throwing them out. I had little food so it was sort of a tragedy.

      Delete
  4. Food accidents are common in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one was particularly horrid to me. Usually, I just put too much salt and can manage to get it out or double the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.