Contact Me

Wednesday, April 4, 2018

I Won a book; Free Lunch Tuesday

Even though I set the clock at 8 o'clock Tuesday morning, never mind I set it for pm. So, I was not ready when exbf arrived. Plus, I had turned off my cell and poor thing had to struggle to get to door and was ready to unlock it when he got to the door. So, he could either come in or struggle back to car and sit. He chose to go sit with my encouragement. Usually, he just calls and tells me he is here.

At the lunch today, we had a man dressed as the founder of our city. He gave us a lot of information about the founding and the founder, all the while dressed in period dress and speaking in the voice of the founder, Col. Cullman. VERY interesting.

At the end of his talk, the minister in charge had three questions. Knowing the answer and raising hand first would win a prize. AH HA! I knew the first question, not from the talk, but from where I live. Col. Cullman did include it in his talk.

Who was the first mayor of Cullman? My hand shot up. "Betz" is the answer. I have lived in the Betz Addition since 1974. No one refers to the subdivision as the Betz Addition, but it is on the Historic sign three blocks away and on the papers from buying the house that identify the lot which we bought. So, my hand shot into the air. (Actually, some of the older men do know this area and use "Betz Addition" to identify exactly where I live.)

I won--Legendary Locals of Cullman County. It is the only county and city in the world with this name. The book is 127 pages full of pictures with text. I would say that less than half of each page is dedicated to pictures.

Lunch was sort of different. I was looking at exbf's plate and asked if I could have a bite while my plate was coming. He said I could, and I picked up one piece of chicken. Well, no, it was friend okra.
I thought I would throw up from the slime and taste. Nasty!

We had: a casserole of chicken; sliced, boiled eggs in cream of chicken soup or something, and crushed ruffled potato chips on top; fried okra, delicious warm roll, and chocolate cake with scrumptious chocolate icing. Since he hates, hates, HATES boiled eggs, I picked off and out of the casserole all I could find. Then, he offered me some of his casserole and I dipped out huge, hidden chunks of boiled eggs. He was really glad I got it out for him...lol. He mostly filled up on okra.

We took a short ride to a church where all the dogwoods and azaleas were in bloom. Lovely.

Then, I went to a pharmacy where there is a nurse who specializes in diabetic shoes. I wanted information on getting shoes for diabetics. I suppose now I have all the information I need or all I can think of right now.

Back at my home, I gave him an Easter basket. It was actually an Easter bucket I got for a dime one year to grow plants in. The Easter Bunny gave him a huge chocolate Easter Bunny-Russell Stover, a book of 140 crossword puzzles, Easter egg with chocolate cream inside, jelly beans, and a small container of Reese's peanut butter bunny cereal. The basket had the accordion-folded paper "grass" bought half price. He commented on the "good chocolate" bunny--RS. The first thing he did after examining it all was start on the jelly beans. I was not aware he liked them that much.

This Cipro exhausts me. So, dinner was not what I planned. We had chicken in the crockpot, slaw, and field peas with snaps. I could barely get it on his plate and take it to him. I lay down.

I had planned to dye eggs but knocked the bowl of hard-boiled eggs out of the refrigerator and they rolled all over, cracking and collecting trash--a hair, bit of dust, some black specks, and disgusting stuff all around. No dyed eggs. One of them rolled out of sight. Then, tonight I found the brown egg  in the dark, narrow space between refrigerator and counter...sigh. I may make egg salad from the eggs when I take off shell and rest of yucky stuff.

The Jello never happened. I was hurting too much to grate carrots for carrot/pineapple salad. So, Easter food will be over two meals...lol. Fruit salads will be on the menu next time he comes. Neither of us was disappointed.

By the way, the chicken was given to me--organic and priced at $17 for the four-pound bird. I really could tell the difference in taste. I could tell it had not been injected with salty, chemical stuff. Exbf exclaimed over the price. I sent the rest of the chicken home with him to clean meat from bones while I kept the rest of the breast we did not eat.

Yep, once again--I WON. It was a  very good day as I took a nap when he left at 6 pm.

Do you love winning as much as I do? Would you ever or have you ever bought a hen this expensive?

10 comments:

  1. Sorry you are feeling bad. If all chicken was that expensive, I would move toward meat free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm,
      Well, I would be eating a lot less at each meal where I eat chicken. AND, I would be ramping up my plans to raise my own meat.

      Delete
  2. The Farmers Market near my house has those organic chickens. I always look at them but would never pay that much for one chicken. I am amazed that people can pay that much for meat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      If I paid that much for a chicken, I would eat about one chicken a month, devour the dark meat that I hate, and suck the bones!

      Delete
  3. I get emails from Goose Pond Farms in Hartselle all the time. I would love to start buying from them but their prices are sky high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I pass by there all the time. Yes, their products are precious.

      Delete
  4. oh my gosh, that egg disaster was a mess wasn't it,, I'm glad you salvaged them,, pricey chicken!!! I hope you feel better soon,, congratulations on the win, I would love to win anything,, I am not a winner lol,, ever!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. laurie,
      Yes, I don't think I have tipped over boiled eggs onto the floor. I win things all the time. But, the thrill is like it was my first win. Thanks.

      Delete
  5. 127 pages - how do you feel about this? Will it be a riviting read or an insomniac cure?
    JP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me,
      The historic pictures are great. I know some of the people as it goes from the eighteenth century to the present. Well, it does stop about fifty years ago. So, it will not be boring as I learn new things and reinforce older facts I knew. Reading anything NEVER puts me to sleep. Thanks.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.