Contact Me

Friday, April 20, 2018

Two Great Grocery Deals

Thursday night, when I was in a grocery store and looking for the Kraft Chunk Medium Cheese, I could not find it. I asked four employees over a period of 30 minutes.

Responses were all mumbled--I don't even know where the cheese in kept in the back. We don't carry it since there is no label on the shelf. I went back there and did not see any cheese at all. Maybe we keep it with the cottage cheese. Maybe it is over in the shelf with cream cheese.

Of course, I had to respond to all these foot-shuffling answers/suggestions which wore me out. Finally, I saw a manager and asked him. He came back with the 16 ounce KRAFT Chunk Medium Cheddar Cheese and told me I could have this for the same price as the 8 ounce. !!!

16 ounces of cheddar cheese for $2.38. I can live with that.

Friday night, after watching all the crockpots being opened at Walmart, I wandered down an aisle at WM where they have picnic supplies instead of Easter goodies. The 38 ounce Heinz catsup was $2.98. There was a hang tag that offered a free any Heinz Mayonnaise with the purchase of the catsup. I had to go across the store to the grocery section to find the mayo. At first, I could not see the quarts, but I was going to get the pint. Finally, I found it pushed back of the shelf or all the ones on front bought.

A quart (32 ounces) of Mayo for $3.98 was free. Catsup and mayo were $2.38 total.

Total Savings--40%
Savings on catsup/mayo deal--55%


Now, if I could just save that much each time I had to purchase anything! One good deal at each store would be worth walking in.

Oh, the third deal was pouches of cake/cupcake mixes for $0.50 each. I got these about two weeks ago. The catch: some were the brightest yellow ever. And, the others were green. Easter colors?

Your turn
Have you found the Heinz mayo/catsup deals? I imagine they are at other stores than Walmart.



9 comments:

  1. I buy whatever is on sale- no preference here and generic is fine. A bottle of ketchup lasts me a long time unless I have guests. I don't use it in anything myself- I'm a mustard gal.I made a pot of lima beans earlier in the week and pretty much have just been eating them. What allergies/sensitivities to food do you have, Linda? I know beef is one. I can eat pretty much anything but I have got snobbish about baked goods and only eat or make from scratch. One of my clients asked me to make him some brownies with nuts- oh my; they were so good I had to eat 1 little one LOL. Recipe had butter, 2 kinds of sugar, cocoa and unsweetened chocolate plus the usual stuff. Honestly, it was easy to stir up and so much better than a box. I delivered them yesterday so they are out of the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. NAN,
    I am allergic to all animal products--cheese, meat, and milk. Cashew nuts, brazil nuts, and other nuts, cannot remember which. I can eat peanuts, pecans, and pistachios. I have extreme sensitivity to cooked spinach. I love raw, but cooked comes right back up even when I am enjoying it or wanting it. I have other allergies, just cannot remember right now.

    I only eat Miracle whip. The only time I use catsup is on/in meatloaf, or once in a while on blackeyed beans. I use catsup forever, too. Mustard lasts me forever, but that is what exbf uses most of the time. I do use mayo if making a pasta salad that calls for it. I subbed MW for mayo once and had to throw it out. Since I know how much sugar is in catsup, I try to eat less on French fries and eat less FF.

    Sensitivity to soy of all kinds, gums.

    Those sound like delicious brownies. I will probably use those yellow and green cake mixes to give away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer Del Monte catsup. Hunts is next, but I will eat Heinz.

      Delete
  3. We're not a ketchup family, and use very little, so it's a rare purchase. I am not brand loyal, but I prefer condiments, particularly mayonnaise, to be in
    glass containers. If find a bottle dirt cheap, I will purchase it. I don't think I've ever specifically purchased a condiment on a shopping trip. In any case, I prefer to use sour cream instead of mayonnaise, and DS and DH prefer horseradish sauce. DS makes his own from horseradish root, which, by the way, is NEVER on sale.
    I tend to stay away from packaged baked mixes, but will buy an 18 oz. box of white cake mix if I can get it for under $0.99, as I find white cake hard to master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg B,
      Glass anything is so hard to find. I love horseradish, too, but only in certain things. I bake so little of anything lately!

      Delete
  4. I enjoy cheddar cheese.
    You got a good deal on yours.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I enjoy it too much! Thanks! I went back and read the post I wrote to see if I really had a good deal since no one had even commented on the deal. Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  5. Eek ! Best not to consume either. I use salsa and hot sauces rather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. urspo,
      Like I said, I eat little of either. PLUS, I cannot eat salsa or hot sauces. Each of these will last me two years. The deal was still great.


      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.