Contact Me

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Potatoes Are Hardy

My little potato plants are surviving below freezing winds and snow. I didn't cover up the potatoes until all the snow was gone. The pots are sitting on a pallet which only facilitates cold wind going up their little skirts...lol. Really, the pots should sit on something that does not allow the wind under the pots.

Late yesterday, I put cardboard over both and after dark put a sheet over that. There were places where the wind could get through places by and in the cardboard. I have the white cloth that allows the sun and water in for plants. Now, I just need to get all together and assembled.

If I plant tomatoes, peppers, and other plants in my other huge pots next year, I will start potatoes in the pots as soon as everything is done. I feel successful at this point. Of course, I have not seen a potato yet. Even if this effort produces minimal potatoes, I will continue to plant potatoes, trying each year to improve my techniques. Why not? This will keep me out of trouble. lol I could turn out to be the Grandma Moses of planting, late but successful.

So far, the ground squirrels have not been in the two pots I now have planted with potatoes. They are probably waiting until I have invested time and my heart into these. When they are larger potatoes, I fear the little devils will come and eat my potatoes.

I did not get the trap set up yet. I either forget or I am getting sick and do not want to get into dirt. Plus, I fear even with a glove on that I will infect my finger that is still not healed.

At least with above ground crops like tomatoes, a person can see and judge progress. This is such a mystery. I can only judge by the fact the leaves are growing that there might be potatoes hidden in the soil.

I feel like such a farmer!

Your turn
Who plants potatoes? Can you give me advice or warm me of any pitfalls? I have read and watched you tube for advice. But, I am not sure what all I need to know. And, vaguely tell me where you live so I can judge what might apply to me for now or later.

4 comments:

  1. I plant potatoes every year.
    with that said I do in the spring...have tried fall here, Missouri, but without success. my spring plant is successful.
    When plants put on flowers you have wee ones producing underneath. if you have a blossom in my patch means just a few produce. If multiple blossoms I have a nice batch under there.
    Hope this helps. look forward to hearing about your progress, Farmher Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ME,
    So far, no blossoms, of course. I need to put pine straw (mulch) over the plants soon. When I accidentally raised potatoes, they had beautiful blossoms, but I had no idea it was a potato plant.

    Everyone around here said they planted potatoes in the fall, so maybe they are good for this climate. Hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No potatoes but I have some basil growing well and rosemary usually loves me- this year I failed it. I love flowers but my yard is too shady to grow much. Can you believe Christmas Eve is just 2 weeks away? I like your new hobby, Linda, but watch that finger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look up a site for flowers that grow in shade. Also look up a site for food plants that can produce in shade or dappled sunlight, whichever you have. I was thinking about how close it is to Christmas, but had not figured out that it was two weeks to Christmas Eve. I don't get my finger near anything out there with the potatoes, not even the cardboard to cover them. I may take this finger back to the doctor because it hurts a lot and is still red and swollen. You failed basil and rosemary? I know basil is easy to grow and I think rosemary is, too.

      I need to get out on Tuesday, and poke holes in soil to plant garlic and onions. I will use a sharpened broomstick for the holes and shoving soil back over them. I still have a few weeks. This is flower garden soil. I will have to get someone to put the soil in pots, too.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.