Contact Me

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Friday SNOW!

It was hard to believe and beautiful to see. Huge snowflakes drifted down outside the picture window. I live between Birmingham, AL and Huntsville, AL. This was a total surprise and not our usual weather. It was 71 F on Monday or Tuesday.

Exbf picked me up. It was so much fun to drive around while it was snowing. I took pictures of azaleas still in bloom with snow on them.

I went to Publix for milk and bread because I needed it, not because I thought a blizzard was going to happen. Before we went to Publix, I had a bag of trash to deposit in the parking lot in the shopping center. When I got to Publix, I looked for my glasses and knew immediately I had put them in the bag of trash and throw away my glasses. When we went back, I had to get out in the freezing cold, open the door to the trash container, pull the trash can out, which means it came off the curb, and drag out the bag and retrieve my glasses. Thankfully, I did not think about them hours later. Not only were they there, the trash was still on top.

Since I had little sleep, I wanted a Coke from McDonald's and asked him if he wanted one. He wanted coffee. I ordered a $5 gift card, too. When I tried to pay, the woman told us the guy in front of us had paid our order--$6.84. That was a surprise. Remember when the guy paid for our Dairy Queen meal?

When I got the card, I gave it to him and said Happy Birthday. I bought it for his coffee on the way home from my house. He declared he could eat breakfast twice. Bummer. Finally, he understood why I got the card for him. Of course, he can do anything he wants with it. Saturday, he will be 64. I also gave him an answering machine. He wants a machine, not to get voicemail through AT&T. And, he did not want two new phones with answering machine. The answering machine is the cheaper option.

While I was in WM for slaw and saw lots of shiny things that caught my attention, he was sitting in the car. I got in with my treasures, and the car would not start. He had been listening to the radio with the lights on. I got out drove the electric cart to the automotive part of the store, all the way across the store and in the back corner! I was going slowly so I told the guy where the car was and what it was. By the time if got there, the car was going. A WM employee will jump off cars for free. Soon, we were on the way.

Some days, things are complicated!

We arrived home about 1 pm, much later than I like for him to eat because of his blood sugar. For lunch we had bbq chicken, slaw, and baked carrots. I made mine into a sandwich. Grapes and three chocolate kisses were dessert.

He left very early because of the weather--wet roads and temps going down to 23  Friday night. I sent food home.  Now, I put each portion in a pint freezer bag. He took home lots since it was his birthday, some of these are individual packages:

5 pkgs. carrots
7 pkgs. chicken
pound of grapes
half pork butt
pkg w/2 KFC wings, my leftovers
8 Ball Park Corn Dogs
box of raisins
loaf of bread that has whole wheat, a mistake purchase

 I forgot to give him Halos, cherry pie, and slaw. grrr

This man moans with pleasure over carrots when I cook them. He has always either eaten frozen or canned carrots. I was going to put them in the crock pot. I felt so bad so many days, that I finally put 2.5 pounds of the five pounds I bought into the oven with garlic and oil on Friday morning. It was so cold that the oven certainly did not overheat the kitchen, just ran up the electric bill.

I did keep chicken and slaw and have more carrots to cook. What I gave him was sharing and also for his birthday. My best friend did not cook. For his birthday, I always cooked food for him, usually cornbread, deviled eggs, and chocolate pound cake.  Men who don't cook and need nothing like home-cooked food to take home.

Since I did not get to sleep until 6 am on Friday morning, I went to sleep at 5:30 pm on Friday and awoke at 3 am on Saturday morning. So, I am well-rested, awake and hoping for going to sleep early tonight. Plus, the OTCs and prescriptions made me feel better. I am trying not to take an antibiotic!

Parts of the southern half of AL got up to six inches of snow on Friday! Unbelievable. I think it is over for the state. You can tell when the weather videos are from the South because people are out in six inches of snow with a V-neck open, no gloves and throwing snowballs, tennis shoes. We mostly don't have the clothes for snow and we are going right back in the house after playing a bit. In town people were out in sandals.

Your turn
Did you get snow in the South? Or, wherever you are? Have you ever thrown out something and had to dig in the garbage?  Come on, I know you have or have a story of someone else.








13 comments:

  1. Just rainy here. Yes, I had to look in the trash once for daughter's retainer and it was there. She had wrapped it in her napkin and forgot it was there. I'm about ready to start making some cookie dough- I seem to get more done if I have a plan like start dough at 7 AM! I see I'm 2 minutes off- now to get started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      No snow or rain here, just 23 degrees F! I hear retainers are lost like that a lot. Glad you found it. There was a time I would bake at 7am. No more. I wish I had one of your cookies right now.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you had a good day. We got snow here and expect more today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dreamer,
      It was a good day, tiring. Where do you live?

      Delete
  3. I wish we had some snow here. It has just been cold and for some reason this year the cold is really bothering me. I can't seem to stay warm.

    Sounds like it was a good day for you! Happy birthday to your exbf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel,
      Maybe you will get your snow yet. An underlying medical problem could be causing you to be sensitive to the cold. Hopefully you get warm.

      It was a good day. I will tell him. Since he is going to his Dr. Who club meeting, he will be happy because he has missed the last three.

      Delete
  4. Oh you Southerners crack me up when talking about snow. I live in a snowbelt and in the Winter we get daily snow showers. Yesterday we added another 3 inches to what was already on the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dime,
      We know we are funny. But, it is magical for us and we don't have to shovel it. If I lived where it snowed all the time, I would hate it. Three inches is a big deal here.

      Delete
    2. Haha. 3 inches is nothing but flurries to us. Lol

      Delete
  5. We rarely get snow here. And I watch it with pleasure when we do.
    And yes, I have had to go through the garbage more than once. Fortunately my own - but it is still not a fun job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC,
      It is so much FUN to see it. If it had been my own garbage, it would not have been so bad. Besides, I did not know when they took it to the dump. Yikes.

      Delete
  6. Your blog is very useful for me,Thanks for your sharing.

    ทางบ้าน

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so miss snow especially at Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.