Contact Me

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Christmas Plans or Something Like It

Post written on Friday

For the first two years I knew exbf, two years when we actually dated, he visited on Christmas Day. I don't remember. Since then, he has said he wanted to stay home and relax on Christmas, refusing to come here.

When we talked Wednesday, he made some statement that indicated he would come here on a day off. He is off Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, works Tuesday and is off on Wednesday. As he seemed to be asking what day he should come, I finally asked him what day he wanted to come. Christmas Day!

That was a shock! He was quick to say he would be here Christmas Day.  That presents a problem. I am still very ill. Although I am not contagious, I am not well yet. I was contagious at the Senior Christmas Party, but obviously he is not going to catch the flu.

I called the doctor's office today. He said it might take me one or two more weeks to get well. Even feeling better, as I do now, is not much toward being well.

Today, I finalized my plans for Christmas dinner. I have the turkey breast roasted. Stove Top dressing is easy! I have everything to make green bean casserole. I have a pouch of Idahoan instant mashed potatoes. I will bake a few tiny sweet potatoes. Tonight (Friday), I will make gravy from the turkey broth which is rich with sage. I need to boil eggs to put in the gravy.  If I do a little bit tonight, Saturday, and Sunday, I will not have to pull up the energy to do it all that day or even on Christmas Eve.

My reminder list:

turkey breast
Stove Top Stuffing
gravy from broth
Idahoan mashed potatoes
boil eggs for gravy
green bean casserole
jellied cranberry sauce
baked carrots

If-I-feel-like-it list:

devil one or two eggs for me
pumpkin pie
buy field peas or Crowder peas

The peas are the only thing I don't have in the house. That will mean I will spend no more money , maybe.  Hopefully, this will all be done and I can just microwave it all on Christmas. I refuse to cook fresh cranberries! I have potatoes, but refuse to peel potatoes and tire myself with the making from scratch. I even have everything to make cornbread dressing from scratch, but will not.

Since I have about three pounds of carrots, I just added that to things I must do, even if I leave off the sweet potatoes. I will ask him his desire.

It will be fun having him here. However, I need to plow through the house so he can get in. Plus, the kitchen and bathroom need attention...sigh.

Your turn
Do you have your plans finalized for Christmas Dinner/Lunch? Are you taking the easy way out on anything because you are ill, tired, or just don't want to do it the hard way?



10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have your Christmas dinner plans well under control. I like not fussing on the holidays.

    Left overs, or rather planned overs, from Thanksgiving I have frozen turkey breast in its own broth, gravy, sweet potatoes. All will be microwaved. Will make a salad. I will make cranberry sauce with fresh cranberries and calamondin puree - that's from my tree, and a couple drops of liquid stevia. It's for me and takes only about 15 min with minimal work on my part. No dessert unless hubby goes out to buy ice cream for himself.

    Hope you feel better quicker than the 2-3 weeks the doctor predicts.

    Enjoy your Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have frozen part of the two hens I had cooked for Thanksgiving. Next year, I will cook for Thanksgiving and Christmas if I can remember. You are ahead of me!

      I am more exhausted than usual. I get up each morning and take an Immodium first thing instead of waiting to need if, if you get my drift...lol. The severe muscle and joint and bone aches are gone, along with the severe headache. So, I suppose I have come a long way, but still, I am so exhausted.

      Delete
  2. I read about the bird in your wreath and i find it charming although i can also see why it's an inconvenience.

    There was one Christmas when my whole family were coming here, I was working up to the 23rd and i had an infected foot which was making me ill as well as making it hard to get around. I went to the shops and bought everything in one trip, didnt shop around, just got it. Everything was simple but it worked out ok.

    I think your Christmas sounds delicious and it's quite lovely that ex-bf wants to share it with you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. kylie,
      I was charmed until it flew into the house.

      Goodness, what an ordeal. I am glad your foot made it through without complications.thanks.

      Delete
  3. Oh we go all out here- Christmas eve is a buffet with lots of dips, meatballs, homemade egg rolls, honey baked ham, etc and Christmas Day which I am hosting will be prime rib, creamy crock pot potatoes, fresh green beans and rolls plus my famous haha white chocolate cheesecake. We also will go to church together sometime and play a dice game for gifts. Linda, as you know a constant is Christmas comes every year so there is always a do-over. My brother in Iowa has had pneumonia and was hospitalized for 6 days- he's bumming because he didn't get his cards out and missed a lot of parties. I reminded him the same thing- it will be here next year for us God willing. Merry Christmas to you and exBF. I hope your 'helper' is doing OK too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you go all out for a crowd. My friend spent Christmas Day in the hospital one year, but it saved her life for other years of Christmas.

      Delete
  4. Echoing Kylie.
    It is Christmas Eve here and later (when the shops are open) I will head out to buy fruit for the fruit salad.
    A turkey breast for the household carnivore will be cooked tomorrow.
    I hope you continue to feel better. And Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC,
      We are both carnivores here, so we are ready with the breast. I was thinking about a fruit salad. maybe.

      Merry Christmas.

      Delete
  5. we are working through the Christmas menu as I type.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.