Contact Me

Wednesday, December 27, 2017

My History with Crock Pots

My Crock Pot history is a very checkered history. Crock Pots should never be left alone with me.

The idea of a crock pot being plugged in and on for hours frightened me. There was no way I was going to use one. I protested loud and long.

Then, the woman to whom I protested the most often surprised me. She bought a Crock Pot (#1) on Amazon and sent it to me. As I opened the door and was about to step down to the porch, I almost tripped over the huge box.

Of course, I opened it. After the first time I cooked in it, I was in love and cannot imagine not having a CP. Yes, I was easily swayed.

Shortly after that I stopped at a yard sale and found a Crock Pot (#2) barely used for $3. It only had a tiny spot of what I assumed was scorched food in the heat unit.

In September of this year, I won a Crock Pot (#3) at The Power Board Customer Appreciation Day.

Several years ago, I found a $1 handled, zippered, insulated crock pot carrier with a white crock and lid (#4) inside but no heating unit. Thinking maybe the crock would fit #1 unit, I paid $1 for it and brought it home. No, nothing fit!

In #1 I scorched something in the bottom by letting it boil dry. I had taken the chicken out but had left the broth to cook down. Obviously, I left it a tad too long. I put it outside to get rid of the scorch odor and put water in it. A raccoon or cat knocked it off the step onto concrete and broke it into pieces!

Then, I draggged out the second-hand #2 and have used it for about a year. Last Wednesday. As I washed it in preparation of putting in the turkey breast, I noticed a crack in the top edge. Maybe I did not actually break it, but it met its demise in my care.

I am hopeless and left with two heating units, two lids, one white crock insert and lid and no crock at all to fit any heating unit, neither #1 nor #2.

CP #3, the one I just won, is too heavy for me to lift easily. But, if I can get it unpacked, I can lift it. Scratch that idea. The turkey breast has been in the refrigerator since Saturday and has thawed.

When I unpack the won (#3) CP, I will see if the stray crock I bought will fit unit #3. It would not fit #1 or #2. If nothing fits, I am getting rid of/donating the two units, the carrier, and the stray crock and 3 lids. The glut of CP heating units and carrier is more than I can bear.

People tell me that crocks can be found at yard sales or thrift stores. I rarely go to those anymore, so it seems futile to keep the heating units at this point.

My keeping these still working units, a good crock and three lids and carrier in hopes of someday using them with old pieces/crocks would fall cleanly in the hoarding category!  I won't go there, ever. Right now, I don't have the energy or motivation to give them away to an individual because they ask too many questions.  I will put them on the curb with a sign--Free Works

I keep small appliances for years without them dying because I take care of things! Stupid crocks!

Then, I made a decision and used a turkey bag for the turkey breast. It really hurt my back to put it in the oven and then again to take it out. Second decision--I will purchase another small Crock Pot so I can continue to use one. The small crock was almost too much for me to lift or to handle even without food inside. If you hear of a sale online, let me know. Thanks! I am looking for free shipping, too. Otherwise, I will keep my eyes open for one in stores around here.

Washing the crock is excruciating for me. However, I never have broken  a crock while washing one.  Even the bottom and all sides must be washed because gunk runs down as I empty the crock.

Lowe's had a crock pot for $10 on Black Friday! aaack!

Your turn
If you have a Crock Pot or have had one, do you/did you break the crocks? Did the unit burn out?


17 comments:

  1. Right now I have two working Crock Pots. I have broken the inside in the past. I hate it when that happens. I bought my younger daughter one for Christmas. She kept borrowing one of mine. One of mine has warm, low and high settings. I like that one because I can put it on warm and leave it to do other things. These are both 4 quart ones. I would like a smaller one to have on hand. They are heavy to carry. I try to be careful with this when lifting the pot out of the heating unit. Hope you find a new one cheap soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      I like those settings, too. I don't even want a digital one, just want to twist the dial. The new one in the box is 6 quarts. I keep the crock right by the sink, so I don't have to far to carry it, but it is still too heavy with 7 lbs. of chicken breasts.

      I have time to look because the ham leftovers and turkey breast leftovers are still in the freezer. Next week is the time I absolutely want/need one.

      Delete
    2. Barbara,
      I actually do take the food out, but the broth is still in the crock when I remove the crock from the heating unit. AND, I never break or crack the crock when I handle it in the sink. I am not sure how the top rim was cracked.

      Delete
  2. I have 2 and probably use them every couple of weeks. I love my crock pots! I've never broken one but my sis lost a screw in a lid LOL. I cook for leftovers so a crock pot is great for me and I just bought one for a client- $15. I hope she uses it! One of her goals is to cook at home so it should be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      Leftovers are my life...I love them. However, I use my crockpot about three to five days a week. I cook vegetables after I take out the meat. Seldom is there room for many vegetables. I hope she uses it, too. I thought I needed a recipe, but learning how much water to use is the one thing I worried about. After cooking in it three times, I struck out with confidence.

      Delete
  3. I will never be without one! I just gave my old one to my college son and bought myself a bigger one on sale right before the holidays. Swoon! Never broken one - chipped an edge, but it did not affect it. The heating unit has just gone out, but I have never burnt anything in it. I love, love, love them - at least 2 meals a week are made in a crock pot. Oh, and I just got a 3 pot one as well from Kohl's cash. It is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      I agree that they are fabulous. I would not use one with a chip, same as the cracked one I have now. I did not burn anything.

      Delete
    2. It was barely chipped on an edge that is outside the lid area - like a chip you would get on a plate or bowl. Very superficial. Anything that would be inside the bowl or under where the lid sits would be broken for me.

      Delete
    3. Jennifer,
      The steam could get to the crack, so I suppose I was being overly cautious about lead dripping back into the food.

      Delete
  4. You can buy crockpot liners at the grocery store - take the food out and throw the liner away! Simple for clean up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobbie,
      The liner stuck then leaked as it I tried to lift it out. Not so simple.

      Delete
  5. I have to have a liner. I think most CP's are broken while being washed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. monica,
      The liner stuck to the crock and then tore when I tried to remove the liner. Neither of mine were broken while washing. Crocks lead a rough life here.

      Delete
  6. I've never had an issue with liners and won't cook in one without it, now. LOL. SO much easier to clean up. The Reynolds liners are pretty thick and have never stuck or leaked. Maybe try spraying the crockpot with cooking spray before putting in liner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      Over time, several stuck and tore. I never thought about using cooking spray. Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Ohhh, your "tale of woe" about crock pots. I am reading backwards here, because I just found your blog. But you have solved it, according to your newer post.

    We love our crock pots. one big and one small. We have everything covered. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. as mentioned my one and only is maybe 20 years old if a minute. I would like a new-fangled one but I can't justify buying one when Old Betsy keeps a - going.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.