Contact Me

Sunday, September 1, 2024

Sunday Progress--Limb Gone

 As we were leaving the house to shop, Tommy remarked that "they cut that tree."  There were a dozen cars there. When we came back, there was a guy and a truck with a woman. I asked the guy about the tree. He called his brother over. Voila! We had a tree cutter.

I told him where we lived from that house and expected a call later. Well, fifteen minutes later, they showed up at the house," the one with the aluminum ramp." That is how we easily describe where we live.  

Within five minutes, they started. Within an hour, they had cut the dead, weird part of the dogwood and the huge tree limb hanging from the neighbor's tree. I warned the guy about the poison oak, and he thanked me profusely for telling him. They charged $400 for the limb in back over the neighbor's fence to our yard, and the half dead dogwood part was a "freebie." That was to put it in the yard for city to pick up. Now, I have to call. I am sure they were glad since it was already after 5 pm. 

The guys were both Hispanic, heavy accents, but we got along with the language, told some funny stories. The one guy said sometimes a Spanish speaker only knew one phrase which led the English speaker to trying to carry on a conversation. 

I mention we needed someone to clean, mainly pick up from floor, maybe vacuum middle of floor that can be seen, sell the car, and an electrician. So, if I have to get people by referral on the street, I will. I am not shy. 

One problem solved! Now, I am not frustrated by tree guy not calling like he said he would. 

By the way, this limb was at least 18" in diameter, actually a tree-sized limb and about 40' or more. 

Do you ever stop to ask a person working about working for you?

10 comments:

  1. So glad you got your tree/limb trimming done by professionals. I hope you saved the receipt from your chain saw so you can take it back!

    Yes, I do stop working professionals and ask for business cards. I've found great yard cleanup help that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      We were always looking for professionals for the limb. We do have the receipt, but we won't take it back.
      People who are actually working are good bets they will work again.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful news! There is something so satisfying about getting a tree or limb taken down that needs it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      Yes, it is satisfying! The tree limb was breaking down my clothesline. The one out front was an eyesore. Job accomplished!

      Delete
  3. People used to ask the handyman in sight if they want more work. Mother got hers via word of mouth of her friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      That is the best way to get good help, asking someone who is working!

      Delete
  4. Yes, I have been known to stop working professionals and ask for their business card.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      Sometimes that is best. They are working! And, often I can see handiwork and ask the person having work done and see how they did.

      Delete
  5. do all the time, or ask Amish if they know of someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef Juls,
      I do, too. But, until now, no luck!

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.