Contact Me

Saturday, January 27, 2024

Sleep Reversal

 

Sure, this is a great storage box for my wreath. It is for a 24' wreath. I suppose mine is that size since it fit the Sterlite container. However, the was the hardest thing I have tackled in a long time. If I did not have it on my lap, it would have been easier. Since I left the velvet poinsettia leaves clipped onto the wreath, I had to make sure they were all inside and would not get squashed in the two pieces of the storage. I am certainly glad I paid $6 instead of $19.95. I do have a wreath in storage with the perfect sized cardboard box. 

There is still a stack of Christmas stuff, a small stack that needs to be tackled. Maybe before Valentine's Day, I can get it done.

Tonight, we had the pork chops and potatoes I was going to freeze. I cannot eat the potatoes and enjoy them as they have such a sharp taste that it makes my jaws hurt. Tommy says they are not a problem. So, I had the chop, a few bites of potato, and a salad. He ate my potatoes with his potato and pork chop.

The receipts from grocery trip are somewhere I cannot find. However, I bought 4 bags of frozen broccoli florets bogo, one onion, halos. I picked up the bag of Halos and was shocked at how heavy the bag was. Plus, I was puzzled as to why Halos kept coming. Now, I had emptied a little box. I was so tired that an empty box puzzled me. When I got home, I realized that I had bought five pounds of Halos, more than I had ever bought. The box should have come with me. I only bought one onion because the last bag I bought was full of onions that were green inside with no clue when I bought the bag. The florets were as cheap as fresh broccoli with no chance of going off before I can use them.

Tommy assured me he won't be helping me eat the Halos. I have seen him eat three at a time. I have no idea why he is not going to eat these, too. I only bought one navel orange for me and ate it as soon as I came home. It was just starting to dry out! But, the pith was delicious. 

Thursday, Tommy browned a package of ground beef and drained it. I put on an 8 oz. package of large elbow macaroni, and opened two cans of unsalted chopped tomatoes. One had basil and two other herbs. I combined the ground beef, elbow macaroni, and two cans of unsalted tomatoes--Goulash. We ate it with shredded cheese. I have not made this in 30 years. It was so delicious. We still have leftovers for one person. 

I bought squash to make a squash casserole and cannot remember the recipe. I found some online that had everything but the kitchen sink. Not what I want. One day, I tried to remember, and the result was awful and dry. I think I used the wrong kind of cheese. So, I bought different cheese.

Good news! Friday night, after having been out of the house for six hours, I went to bed at 10:30 pm. Of course, I awoke at 4:30 am, got up and went back to sleep in my chair at 9 am. Then, I awoke at noon and figured I had seven hours sleep. Good deal. I know it is not an ideal sleep pattern, but at least I am not awake all night and asleep all day.

My sleeping problem? I need to watch something funny to relax. So, I am going to get a cd of Third Rock and a cd player. We can watch this early instead of my waiting until 2 am. Laughter relaxes me. I might get Frasier and Mike and Molly, too. Tommy has boxes/cases of VHS tapes and no tape player. We need something to play those, too. 

We went to the pharmacy to pick up two meds, one for each of us. My prescription was ready. So was Tommy's. He was just going to pay for it when I reminded him to ask the price--$70 for his insulin. This is the third time he has discussed this at the pharmacy. He almost went ballistic, and he is never upset with people. Well, he keeps it under control except about this. He was punching his finger toward the tech behind the window as he fussed. I told him to have her get a pharmacist. It went better after that. Finally, it was $35. His doctor refuses to write it so he gets the lesser price. So, pharmacist has to adjust the amount dispensed to make it $35. This is an ordeal. 

Next week will be a good week because the temps are about 50F and it will be dry. We have had to use the ac this week. 

What's happening with your weekend?

Do you like goulash? 

13 comments:

  1. "Like" goulash? I was RAISED on that shizz, and it was the best! Mom would add chopped onion, celery and green pepper, though. We ate bowl after bowl, with buttered crackers.

    I didn't think anyone but Midwesterners called that concoction goulash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't exactly remember eating it, but I know I did. I do know I made it once when I was about 40 and took it to school for lunch, and the people in class thought it smelled delicious. I didn't put anything but the three ingredients in it then. However, I was going to put onion in this last batch. Maybe I heard it called goulash by the women at school. I don't know any other name for it. Daddy was from Illinois as were his parents.
      Maybe I heard it called goulash

      Delete
    2. Sue,
      I never heard of buttering crackers.

      Delete
    3. What? No buttered saltines in your life, ever?

      That was my snack of choice in elementary school (as well as plenty of other kids, too). The school provided a carton of whole milk mid-morning and we brought in snacks to have with it. Some kids brought graham crackers. Cookies weren't allowed; not even animal crackers.

      As I got older and more sophisticated, I added a small square of cheddar to the top of a buttered cracker. That sufficed for a meal many, many times. Crackers, butter, & cheese are the food of the Wisconsin Gods...

      Delete
    4. Sue,
      I never heard of that. I ate cheese on a cracker, but no butter. I do think of graham crackers as cookies. They are sweeter than animal crackers to me. I was thinking of buying some graham crackers the other day.

      Delete
  2. PS My Christmas stuff, as little as I put up this year, is still out. The kid's tree is still up, the stockings are still on the fireplace mantel. I hate to take it down because it looks so cozy, especially when it snows (like today!).

    Plus, I am hella lazy these days... ;^)

    I must have been a bear in a previous life, because my preferred mode of dealing with snow, cold, and lack of light would be to hunker down under the covers and never leave my bed. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it all does look nice, but mine is in a pile or two.

      If I can just find a bit of sun, I would be okay. Bears are lucky...lol.

      Delete
  3. I like your wreath container, very nice. I love goulash and could eat it regularly. Yours sounds similar to how I make mine. Sounds like you two really enjoyed yours. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      I have always wanted a wreath storage container, but they were always too expensive until now. We will be having goulash more often now. I keep carb consumption low when I plan to have it. I think I enjoyed it more than Tommy.

      Delete
  4. Linda I had never heard of buttered crackers until John introduced me to them. They are surprisingly delicious. You must use BUTTER not one of those spreads. My Mom liked peanut butter on saltines

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As children we always ate peanut butter or cheese. Tonight, I will try butter on crckers.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.