Contact Me

Monday, January 8, 2024

Satisfied

 My day is not over and it is after 8 pm. I only had 2.5 hours sleep! Today, we had two missions. Tommy returned the purse he picked out for me. It was fine except for the fact the top was narrower than the bottom. That went off without a hitch. 

This will not be edited because I am too tired.

Tonight, the extreme winds mean we might lose electricity. I do not want the firemen to have to hoist me out of my chair again. So, we went to Ashley Furniture to purchase these boxes that hold a charge so the lift portion of my chair works when the electricity goes off. That was another $646 for two rechargeable power packs. Tommy said he was not getting one, he could get out of his chair. No, he cannot without ruining the footrest part. Actually, I could get out better if I did not care what damage I did. 

Tommy asked if they had someone to install these devices. The guy selling them said he would come. I have no idea what he will charge. He was going to come after he got off work at 7 pm. I had Tommy call him at 8 pm. Thankfully, the guy just had a late customer and was leaving the store. 

Now, I worry. These have lithium-ion batteries. These have burned several houses in the news. Tomorrow, I go buy several smoke detectors and put one down by the chair where the lithium ion batteries are located. 

Formerly, Tommy screamed and yelled, saying I was not allowed to put smoke detectors in his house. Today, he did not say a word. Seventy-three years ago, I watched my house burn to the ground. It left an impression, a great fear. 

So, we wait. At least two firemen won't have to hoist me out of this chair. The occasion might arise that the firemen were otherwise engaged. I might have to sit here and pee in my chair. Yuck! 

Next 2024 project--buy bed and mattress and box springs. First, I must get the refund from Ashley for a bed I paid for in 2020. 

Yesterday, we packed up two candy dishes. One ornament candy dish held ornaments. The other dish held nothing until I put kisses into it on Christmas Eve. Today, we have put nothing away. Well, he did give the reindeer a ride on the walker. 

The neighbors are probably watching, wondering, and laughing as Tommy hauls these reindeer around the yard. He took them down and put them on the porch where I told him to put them. The baby on the table, buck standing in front of the table, doe on other side of door and in front of grill. Then, with the wind expected, I had him lay buck and doe and baby down on porch. Then, worse predictions came. I had him put the two adults standing between my car and carport/house wall. The baby deer was moved to side of door and lying in front of the grill. So, we will see what gets damaged by wind. 

Tommy suggested we move them indoors and stand them in the dining room. The spectre of glitter all over the house horrified me. Hopefully, I won't regret not bringing them indoors. He wants to bring the three stack tomato cages with lights on them indoors and put into a closet! NO! 

So, we wait for the guy. 

He arrived at 8:45 and made short work of plugging in the power packs and placing them where we could actually see the indicator lights and actually remove them to recharge the power packs. At 9:45 he left after we talked for at least 30 minutes. He knows someone who cleans, a friend. And, he is available for handyman work and yard work. He previously had a landscape business. So, this contact may be great. 

We are set for losing power. Dishwasher is going now. He heats water with gas, so we will never lose hot water. I am going to get out the paper plates. We can use the few disposable utensils that have accumulated. Plus, we can put reusable utensils in a bowl in the sink and use hot water to wash those. There are plenty of candles--battery-powered and led and even tealights and matches. Clothes and towels and such are mostly clean. Hopefully, we won't lose all the meat in the freezer. I will put blankets and pillows on the freezer if need be. 

Dinner for me: chicken with bbq sauce, green beans, sweet potato. Tommy: roast beef, green bean casserole, sweet potato, cabbage. 

So, I will post before we lose the electricity. 

How is the weather at your house today/tonight? 

Do you have a power pack for a lift chair or a sofa?

6 comments:

  1. Glad you have to protection you need. That is a feeling of comfort. Hope he can send a cleaner your way - that would be nice for you. Hope you don't lose power.
    Why are you waiting on a refund from 2020? That is an awful long time to wait if one is coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl,
      I was not happy with depending on someone to get me up! Plus, firemen might be busy with a fire and not available.
      Really, he is best person I have met who says they will talk to someone.
      Can you believe the store never answered the phone or called back when another store told them I was calling? There were other things happening, and I would forget about it.

      Delete
  2. We're snowy and cold today. Three degrees this morning. At least it's (slightly) above zero. Because we retired to a very rural, country area, we got ground mount solar with back up battery in case of power outages. And although we have recliners (and a reclining loveseat, all bought 2nd hand), they're manual.

    Do you have a backup generator for your house? My big Sis is so glad they bought one for their house a few years ago. --Elise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elise,
      That sounds sooo cold! I would love to have solar. It sounds secure. At least, you won't be stuck in a chair.

      No, a generator is another thing Tommy yells about not getting. But, we are getting lots of things he did yell about, so there is hope. I suppose we have to lose a freezer full of meat first.

      Delete
  3. I have a power pack on my stair lift and I am thankful to know that I can get up and down the stairs if the power is out. I have had it for five years without incident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lana,
      That makes me feel a bit better. Maybe mine will never fail.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.