Contact Me

Monday, January 15, 2024

@#$% I FELL

 


Actually, I slumped all the way down and could not get up. 

Once again, I 'fell' coming in the front door. My shoe caught on the loose screw in the metal strip under the door, on the threshold. This is the same place I have fallen twice before, the same screw Tommy forbade me to remove by just pulling it out. I was going to put a bit of a toothpick in the hole with wood glue and replace the screw. Well, now I think he knows it is a problem.

Lest you think I came crashing down like I did the last time, let me dissuade you of that idea. I was holding the doorknob with my right hand and slumped to the right, leaning on the door as I started down. I grabbed the doorknob with my left hand. Then, I slowly sank to my knees which hurt my good knee. Then, I very slowly sort of slumped to my left side, the side of the shoulder with rotator cuff tear and another tear across chest muscle. 

The only problem was that I could not lay my head down and I could not straighten my left knee because of the way I was lying. Of course, Tommy cannot help me get up. And, I cannot put weight on either knee. Otherwise, I would just get up on hands and feet like a baby and straighten up. I can still manage that but not getting on my knees! 

One of the firemen had done this last year. When I told them I did not just fall, but the same loose and sticking up screw caught me again, he asked me if I had a screwdriver. He attempted to screw it in after putting a yard stick in the hole. He put in too much wood, I think. Anyway, he asked if he could just remove the screw. So, it is not in the way anymore. Tommy would not allow me to take it out. The strip is stable, so it is not a big deal. 

We had just come in from the grocery store. I went to the bathroom after they hauled me up, and we headed out again...lol. We may be in for a couple of days. Roads are closed, the interstate north of here. 

I went out for red storage tubs and found a 90% off sale. Of course, I had to shop that after there were no red tubs. I spent $1.66. for six items. 

Spring nightgowns are in the stores. I now have two and was trying them on for looks once home, not fit. Both have pockets!!! This is thrilling. 

Grocery store--red potatoes, broccoli, carrots, apples, milk, eggs. The French toast people were out en masse. I wanted to run screaming, but I cannot even walk. I did not want to yell at anyone, just shriek to get away, sort of a primal scream. 

Tommy 'plugs in a light bulb and puts it in the washing machine,' took spray cans we are returning to Lowe's, covered the outdoor faucet. We are prepared. We are set. We will have to go to a motel if we lose power as this is too cold to stay home and tough it out. The upside of losing power for a few days and going to a motel? He will finally be convinced we need a generator! 

He washed kitchen laundry this morning, so that is done. Everything else was clean. 

The light bulb idea works since his washing machine has never frozen. I was lucky that I had a basement below my washing machine, so no frozen pipes ever and they were not insulated at all. 

What preps do you make before a freeze? 

Do you or someone you know have a stumbling block that causes a fall or trip?

10 comments:

  1. Who are French Toast people? I guess you were ok if you were out again so soon. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAM,
      People who buy milk, bread, and eggs before a storm. The guys asked me if I were hurt. I told them just my feelings. I am trying to stay warm with two nightgowns and two throws in my recliner.

      Delete
  2. fire wood in, pump house heater turned up, dog's outside water plugged in, both trucks full of fuel, extra fuel on property for generator, test generator to make sure it runs, test solar pump to make sure it runs, close off lofts and make sure I have milk... or at least can get across the pasture to Amish neighbor to get milk from their milk cow LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chef,
      You are always so well-prepared! The one thing I did buy extra was milk because drinking Tommy's milk will make me hurt. I want a generator that runs on two fuels--natural gas that comes to his house, and gas. Having a milk cow close by solves the problem of having a store open or getting to a store.

      Delete
  3. We have bread and milk in the house, so no need to be French Toast people. LOL

    I'm so sorry you fell, that is a sinking feeling for sure. I'm glad they were able to get you up, we had a lot of trouble trying to get Mom up and out of the floor when she fell.

    Having a generator would be so nice for you in case you lose power. I would love for us to have a whole house generator here. We have one a small generator, if we need it, but it is not a whole house one.

    It sure is cold here, but we are as ready as we can be. The electric company asked us to try and save on power today, so we will do our best to do that. i hope you both stay safe and warm and don't loser power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      At least you can have your French toast without rushing to the store.
      I can assist in getting me up. I am not going limp. And, I never break anything. If I could get on either knee, I could get myself up.
      Whole house would be great. But, having the heat pump and freezer and refrigerator would be great.
      We are ready, sort of...lol. There has been no mention of conserving heat. But, we are using nothing extra because of weather and not the electric dryer or the washing machine.
      My generator was small, I suppose, but I had it hooked up to refrigerator, freezer, and one lamp. I found out there was an extension cord made just for a generator, so had that the second day. I was lucky that I needed neither heat nor cooling when I lost power, along with the whole city, after a tornado. The end of April is nice weather.

      Delete
  4. Our freeze has passed. We prepared by calling our tenant to remind her to let the south facing shower head in the master bath trickle. I made sure all the laundry was done, because if we lose power, even though we have a standby generator, neither the washer, dryer, nor oven is on the panel. We had enough wood for the woodstove to get us through. Now, we just need one of the kids to cur more wood in preparation of the next freeze/potential power outage.
    We lived in a house with a sunken living room. I never gave it a second thought until a toddling kid fell on his face stepping down! I am very careful about mobility hazards, to the point that prior to finishing this place, I had a nurse do a walk through to assess for tripping hazards. Also, we have grab bars in the master shower, (2), by the master toilet (2) and in the powder room. Porch is as close to zero level entry as possible, well lit, with a safety rail along the house for the one step, and a beautiful railing along the front of the porch to keep someone from falling over the one step level porch. (It also houses beautiful window boxes.) I am of the mind that grab bars in bathrooms are going to become code requirements on new construction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      I want the freezer on the generator at the least! He has natural gas heat but needs electricity to make it run.
      I believe that the bars should be be code requirements, too. I lived in a house with infant and toddler and there were steps down to bath and two bedrooms and step down to another bedroom. It was a nightmare to navigate with baby in arms. Grab bars are lifesavers! You sound well-prepared.

      Delete
  5. Before a storm I like to ensure all cars are filled with gas and wiper fluid. I turn their heat on high and engage the front and rear defrosters on. Lastly, I make sure the wipers are turned off and then prop them up, away from the window. so they don't freeze to the window. I ruined a wiper rotor once by leaving the wiper down and not checking that it was turned off, after an ice storm came through.

    Why is it bad to be a French Toast person but perfectly okay to run out and get vegetables and everything BUT the bread?

    I am glad the firefighter removed that damn screw that Tommy was being such a pissant about. I hope you tattled on Tommy and told the firefighters you've fallen because of it before but he refused to remove it.

    I think putting a light bulb in the washer is weird. It's nowhere near the pipes that deliver water to the washer. It's like opening an umbrella in your living room to prevent the roof from leaking...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue,
    I like your idea of taking care of wipers.

    There are soooo many of those people!

    Oh, I say this stuff in front of Tommy. He does not say a word! The guy asked if he could take it out since it was up and tripping me. I said yes and Tommy did, too. He was one of the guys who got me up the other time I fell there.

    I will explain that on another post--putting bulb in washer.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.