Contact Me

Thursday, January 11, 2024

Rainchecks, The Ads and Saban Resigns

Tommy had a doctor appointment at the other end of the county. I only slept 1.5 hours, so the trip was rough. We did nothing else that we could have down there. The only thing we did was go to our three stores around here and collect the ads. At The Pig he was charged $1.70 or something for the 10% and did not pay $0.85 for being 'over 60.' This is a small economy.

This week, there was very little to tempt us to grocery shop. Instead, I pulled out three rain checks to redeem. This chore was harder than grocery shopping. I did stock up on 'no salt' cream of soups. The foil I needed was still out. I now have some Eagle Brand Condensed Milk. I rarely use it. But, I have two cans now. 

To make matters worse, everything but the foil was out of reach on the bottom shelf. Then, I needed help to get Tommy's Diet Pepsi. I spent a lot of time at the service desk talking about the foil rain check. 

When we came home, I decided to work on soups, sorting, that is. I won't use the sodium-laden kind. Tommy said he would leave it alone, too. Now, I have more than a dozen cans of soup, all late 2023, to give away. It makes me sad, but it has to be done. Really, one of these days, I will make it myself, so I do not have to eat soy or the oils in them. 

Christmas is still out in living room and ready to be boxed. 

Tommy and I are both using unused pages in our 2023 day planners for notes--a small economy. 

Dinner: I had chicken with bbq saucenand potato salad. Tommy had chicken tenders, green bean casserole, baked potatoes, carrots. 

I asked Tommy if his mother ever made cookies. He said occasionally she did, using the rolls of cookie dough from the store. I was wondering if she ever made cut out cookies. I laughed inside. She made pies. 

Tonight, after dinner I was typing. I noticed bbq sauce on the back of my left hand. It hurt to lick it, and I could not wipe it off. Somehow, I whacked the back of my hand, cutting it 1/4 inch and leaving a bruise! I don't bruise easily nor do I scrape myself. Skin is not thin. It is a mystery. 

I forgot. I did have Tommy take me to Lowe's. I still cannot light the grill. I went for long matches to stick through the hole in the front to light it. Well, I finally found the long matches, but saw the long lighters and decided that would work, too. So, I can try that. If it still won't light, I will get rid of the grill. Of course, Christmas decorations were 75% off, but I was charged 50% off, so I need to rectify that. I bought two strings of lights to put on the other two tomato cages. 

The wind was up again today, but less than the last few days. Tonight, it is 35F. I am so cold I have on my summer nightgown and the long-sleeved fleece nightgown. My hands are cold typing. I also have a heavy fleece throw over me as I sit in my chair. When I napped here, I used my jacket lying nearby to put over chest and around shoulders. I am still cold! I won't sleep in both nightgowns as I will remove the winter, long-sleeved nightgown. 

My hair is finally long like it was before Tommy whacked it! So, I suppose I can get a haircut to even it all. It has grown over 8 inches in a year. 

EDIT: Coach Nick Saban of University of Alabama and Roll Tide resigned. While I must be loyal to Auburn, I am a big fan of Saban. It is all over the news. Tonight, Channel 13 had a brief weather report, and the remainder of the news cast was devoted to the Saban development. 

It was a busy day, probably boring, but we accomplished things that needed to be done. I had my nap and small economies. 

How was your day? 

Any small economies?

Large ones?

Good food?

Are you an Alabama fan?



12 comments:

  1. I went and had the oil changed in my car and filled the gas tank and my BIL fixed my headlight the other day, so other than washing it, my car is good to go. We finally got our Christmas decorations put away but only because my sister is coming in from out of state to help with Dad’s things. I was going thru his papers yesterday looking for a cremation he paid for years ago but still could not find it. I will keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belinda,
      This has been a very productive day for you. I suppose I need company coming to get this stuff put away. Can you check with the places that would do a cremation, just acting like you know it is there? After a death is a horrible time to spend with all the business of dying instead of mourning.

      Delete
    2. I checked with the company near us, but they have no record of it, but said if we could find it, they will honor it, so my search continues. Thank you for the great suggestion.

      Delete
    3. Maybe you will find it soon.

      Delete
  2. So far I haven't left the house since last Friday. Only gone out to feed birds and squirrels. I have had company twice and a meeting and all was done here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great that it all comes to you. I know you are glad you don't have to go out to keep cats warm and fed.

      Delete
  3. Not at all a football fan, least of all college football, especially the money these PUBLIC schools pour into football--the cost is insane, and not just the multi millions in coaches' salaries. But we are a country that can't provide free college educations to academically worthy students.
    Re: Eagle brand condensed milk: That is a pantry staple. I am not brand loyal, though. I will buy any brand or type under $2.00/ can, even fat free, as long as it is condensed milk, and not "creamer." I make several pies which use condensed milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      There was a piece on TV about homelessness of children. There has to be a solution, and paying millions to coaches and players is not the answer.
      I am brand loyal, but I paid $2 can for the Eagle Brand. I need to make a pie with it.

      Delete
  4. I did a little shopping today, and we enjoyed a low carb chicken curry this evening with cauliflower rice.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan,
      I have my dinner ready, so bbq chicken and slaw are on my radar. No shopping today for me.

      Delete
  5. Of course I am an Alabama fan. TheHub and I met there when we were students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I knew that. And, there is a new coach now. It was a whirlwind event.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.