Contact Me

Thursday, July 5, 2018

Small Economy--Two, No, Three

I love earrings. I especially love unique earrings. In the past most of my earrings were one-of a kind, ordered from the artist. Now? Not so much, not in the last 20 years. At any rate, I must order clip-on earrings or convert the ones I buy.

When I can, I browse earrings in every store. Lately I have not shopped for earrings at all. Rarely do I ever find anything I will wear. Sometimes, the earring cannot be converted. Often, the price is too steep. The sale rack is my favorite place in any store or department in the store. Walmart is not the best source of earrings for me.

Often, I would find earrings with an element I liked, but the whole earring I disliked. I would take the earring apart and make it to suit my taste. That was the case this time.

Last week, I hit the jackpot. at Walmart.  I found a $2 pair of sale earrings that I could convert to clip-ons after I remade the earrings. When I get the part of the earring off the original that I want to use, I will have enough to make another two pair with two other elements left over.

Since I put nail polish on my nails, I have to use polish remover and a cotton ball to remove it. As I pulled the cotton from a bottle of medicine, it occurred to me this was a free cotton ball. I cannot entirely eliminate the need to buy cotton balls, but the little bit of cotton in meds is a small economy.

Of course, I could quit wearing earrings or polishing my nails as an extreme economy. But, I probably won't.

Today, I found that flag paper plates, really sturdy one, were reduced. There were 10 plates for $1.47 marked down to $.25. That is 2.5 cents/plate or $2.50/100. In the regular aisle for paper goods, paper plates were $4.97/100 or 4.97 cents/plate. I think I bought about 250 plates with a flag on them. Half the plate was red and white stripes, and the other half was blue with stars. Additionally, these plates were much more sturdy than the ones I buy. Of course, they may get soft with food on them.

There were three packages left of 12 saucers, also marked to $0.25. I also bought two packages of the flag napkins. Surprisingly, they were much cheaper than the same quality napkins. Since I use cloth napkins, I suppose buying napkins is a bit of a splurge.

Your turn
Do you love earrings? Ever wear them at all? Do you wear clip-ons? Convert your own earrings? Remake earrings?

Do you reuse the cotton meds in place of bought cotton balls?

Do you ever buy marked down seasonal paper goods when they are cheaper than the regular paper plates?


2 comments:

  1. I had never thought of using the cotton out of the medications! That will now be something I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      It will never completely replace buying cotton balls, but offset it a tiny bit. At least, the cotton ball won't go straight to the landfill.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.