Contact Me

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Groceries July 15--21, 2018 (UPDATED/COMPLETED)

I posted this before the week and shopping were finished. So, here it is again and complete.

* from Farmer's Market

3 bananas
mushrooms
4 zucchini
 4 yellow squash about $3.15 for zucchini and squash
bell pepper $.88
*tomatoes $6 Celebrity variety
*peaches $6
4 bananas
2 half-gals. a2milk 2 for $7 on sake
1/2 gal. orange juice
3 jarred sauces on clearance
Cherries
eggs, doz.

Given to me:
gal. milk
bread
2 lbs. yellow squash
2 lbs. potatoes

I spent about $35 this week.

The three jars of sauce were stock-up items. I think they were Prego, but they were varieties I might never try except for the price.

I have always eaten mushrooms, usually in salads or in spaghetti. But, the other day for the first time I decided to saute them in butter. I have eaten them sautéed before, just never did it myself.

The zucchini and yellow squash came from WM. I just did not feel like walking the market. Then, I decided I wanted tomatoes and went anyway. However, I know where my tomato man is and the peaches are right across from him. Exbf parked right behind guy's truck, so I did not have to walk over 15 feet. It still hurt.

I brought the sauces home today, Friday. They are still in the car. I think they are Prego. When I bring them in, I will post the brand and variety.

This method of keeping track of my purchases seems to work. I bring home the receipt and post here. So, it no longer matters that I cannot keep track of the receipt.

The eggs were bought about 1 pm on Saturday, yesterday, I just realized they have been in the blazing hot car all afternoon, overnight, and now 9:00 am. They will go straight in the trash as I will not eat eggs our in the heat for that long...sigh. So, add another dozen eggs at $1.28.

Have you left food in the car to spoil, rendering it inedible?

12 comments:

  1. I love sautéed mushrooms. We have them often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      I doubt another mushroom that I buy ever goes into a salad from here on out.

      Delete
  2. I found a gallon of milk in my trunk about 1- days after I purchased it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No I've never left food in the car before. I always drive straight home with it and clear out the boot. But I do leave things in the fridge too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LL Cool Joe,
      I can only carry in a few things, then I have to lie down and rest before the second, third, fourth trip in house. I, too, do leave things in the refrigerator when I am sick or cannot bend to see things.

      Delete
  4. With temps here hitting 110 and above it is vital to have a cooler in the car in which to transport the groceries home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      THAT IS HOT! I am never more than 1.5 miles from home when I grocery shop. Getting a cooler in and out of the car is a horror, and then putting ice in there. gah! I have to be careful.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I have and it made me MAD! I hate wasting food and just had to throw away some salads. Sometimes I overbuy and then when I get to the item, it looks awful. I'm really trying to just buy for a few days- it's not a bargain if I end up 'pitching' it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      It makes me mad, too! It also makes me sad to see my food tossed. When I had chickens, I could always give salad stuff to them. It made the loss less painful. I never game them spoiled food, just bits and scraps or sad salad stuff.

      Delete
  6. I rarely waste food, too expensive. But you have special challenges. Now that we are in the extended stay hotel and I have to lug thins up the elevator and only do one trip, it has really changed how I shop. I have a plan and a list for couple meals only and just but that list only! Then I have them bag the cold stuff together so they are easy to find. I hope this helps you too - maybe just do couple bags of the stuff that you have to take in 1st trip...then you can get other stuff next trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nawm.
      Yes, I always have cold stuff together, and I only had one other bag. But, eggs are alone in a bag always unless I have dish towels in with the eggs. Or something soft and weightless.

      Sometimes, it takes me days to get it all inside.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.