Contact Me

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Groceries July 22--28, 2018

eggs $1.28/doz.
3 bananas
mushrooms 2@$0.99
2 half-gallons a2milk, 2/$7
sour cream
cherries $1.49/lb
grapes $1.79/lb.
strawberries $0.99
blueberries 2@$0.99/lb.
jar of artichoke hearts
1 lb. butter $2.99
4 bananas
onion
bell pepper
Miracle Whip $2.99

My total this week was about $30. Butter was $2.99 at Sav A Lot. It's a brand I have never heard of, but it is mine now. I will check other stores to see if it is carried anywhere else and what is the price. Okay, I checked and the butter is Coburn Farms, a Sav A Lot brand. And, there is a coupon that will make it $1.99!!!

Tuesday was the last day of the a2milk at $7 for two half-gallons. I bought two last week. Even though I have two unopened cartons from last week, these last two have a date of August 23, 2018. As I was trying to juggle things in the refrigerator to fit two more cartons in, I made a happy discovery. There were two milk cartons that each were about 1/3 full. When I combined those, both the same date, things were much less crowded! I don't think I have EVER before had two cartons of milk open and in use at the same time.

Immediately, I opened the jar of artichoke hearts at home. I ate two, gagging and spitting out the corn husk like portion. I will be taking these back. They were nasty.

The blueberries went straight into the freezer. I had just scraped the last of my last jar of Miracle Whip from the jar.

There is dehydrated bell pepper in a pint jar, but I bought a fresh one. The last time I put dehydrated bp in meatloaf, I remarked to exbf that the bell pepper had been dehydrated last year. He said and made sure I understand that he was not complaining, that the bell pepper was hard as a rock. He kept saying it was okay because he could taste it in the meatloaf.  So, I have fresh bp for the meatloaf this time.

Two stores had great sales this week, Aldi and Save A Lot. Otherwise, I would not have bought so much fruit and mushrooms.

Do you have a Sav A Lot where you live? Have you ever used Coburn Farms Butter or any of their products?

6 comments:

  1. Our Save A Lot is a really 'icky' store but I do go there occasionally to buy buttermilk. They sell a half gallon for less than $2 and that is as cheap as I have found. I wish they kept better care of the store! I have bought some Coburn products there- generic stuff does not bother me. I do need butter to. I put my last stick out to soften last night for a biscuit shortcake I'm baking this AM before church- I've been craving old fashioned strawberry shortcake. This calls for baking powder, butter, flour, sugar and milk- the kind Mom made when I was growing up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mu Sav A Lot is very small and immaculate. Everything was orderly and nothing smelled. I am pleased with the condition.

      I would not call Coburn generic. I would like that recipe if you would share. I had less than half a stick when I bought this pound.

      Delete
  2. We love eggs in our house, they are always top of my shopping list!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan,
    I love eggs and wish I had chickens again. I use mine scrambled, boiled or in something like meat loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No Save a Lot in Vermont. We do have an Aldi store. I shop there for some things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara,
      At least you have a good place to shop. SAL has one electric cart. ONE

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.