Contact Me

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

A Gift and A Lunch

Over the weekend, I received an email stating that one of my readers had sent a generous gift to my PayPal account. THANK YOU! I was stunned to receive anything.

I will either put it toward a water heater or a pair of much needed shoes.  I need both!

Today was one of the free Tuesday lunches. We had: hamburger or hotdog on a bun, lettuce, tomato, pickle, slaw, unsweetened tea, piece of cake. I was lucky and got two brownies instead of a piece of cake. Oh, we received one fig on our plate if we wished. .

The hamburger hurt my stomach almost immediately, so I did not finish it.

He ate dinner here and took enough home for two or three days: ham eaten here, sautéed zucchini, squash, potatoes cooked in the crockpot after the chicken came out. I had sautéed mushrooms, along with the chicken, potatoes, sautéed squashes and bell pepper.

We shared the chicken. He took home two leg-thighs. I kept the breasts. He also took home a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk and cherries.

All was cooked yesterday. I washed my hair this morning, went to lunch, bought milk at Publix, and heated dinner. But, I am so exhausted at this point, I cannot eat. As you can see, it takes little to exhaust me! I even had a little nap today.

The weather today was gorgeous--no rain, light winds, 85 F, 70% humidity.

Since I am out of butter, I need to find some cheap, on sale, or a coupon. I read where people get really cheap butter, and I find none here!

Where do you find cheap butter?


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Barbara,
      Thanks. I read that cheese prices will drop. I would think that butter would, too.

      Delete
  2. Aldi has cheaper butter seasonally, Publix does every so often and so does sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne,
    Okay, since you are local to me, I suppose Aldi and Publix are my best bets. Local is 50 miles as opposed to across the country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been pricing it too- $2.50 is the cheapest I've seen for a pound- WM and Aldi's. I'm down to a stick! I like to use butter for baking but that's about my only use since i don't eat toast or put it on vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nan,
      It is closer to $5 here. I use it to saute vegetables. I never make toast anymore. It I bake a potato, I use just a sliver, so not much use there. I am not baking. When I make oats for breakfast, I prefer Country Crock. Only lately have I sautéed many vegetables. I am down to a half stick! If I manage to stagger into Aldi's and find it cheap, I will buy 5 lbs. if I have the money.

      Delete
  5. I love how you said the day was gorgeous, 85º's and 70% humidity. We are having high 80º's and 40% humidity and we are in pain!! No AC, but the nights cool down well. I have the house down to 67º right now at 7:30am. It will heat up, but I have a cooler in the kitchen and that helps. I live near Seattle and we only have 33% of the people with AC. So many of us are not enjoying the heat at all. Will be in the low 90º's this weekend. We have fans and work with moving them around and opening and closing windows. How do you all live with this in the south! You are all better people than me! You stay cool, eat well, and take naps! I keep thinking that September will be better, weather wise. Also back to school time, which I love even though I will be 70 very soon. I still buy pencils and paper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      I have AC! We are smart in the South. When I go out the door, I am in shade all the way to the car, so the breeze feels great. Remember, I have been living with the heat and humidity suffocating me as I step outside. So, the lack of high heat and humidity was a relief. In the South, 85 degrees is not hot to us. If the humidity was at 40%, we would consider it wonderful on an 85 F day.

      We can have some of our hottest weather still late in September. So, there is usually not much relief here for a sustained period of time. I, too, do love back to school and do buy supplies then and I will soon be 72 in September.

      Right now, I am lying in the ac with a sheet over me. As a child I suffered with no ac. Now, I have asthma and bronchitis, so ac is necessary.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.