Contact Me

Sunday, July 8, 2018

A Neater Way to Shred + DQ Coma

When I have mail with my name all over it, I do not want it in the trash. A plastic bag served to put things with my social security number and address in. Sometimes, I can just cut or rip off the address, not often.

The plastic bag was unwieldy, often spilling because it was slippery. Then, I switched to a paper grocery bag. That was large. I was not happy with the situation. Friday, I found a neater way.

As I was going through recent junk mail and things from the pharmacy, I decided to use a pharmacy bag for storing paper that needed to be shredded. It is about a foot long and five inches wide, meant to hold meds from the WM pharmacy when I pick it up.

Envelopes fit neatly inside. There is a gusset that will allow expansion. I can also drop the bits of envelop with my name when the rest of the envelope goes in the regular trash. I did compost but now I don't. I should!

I know this is one tiny "thing," but in these few days, it has simplified my life. I can keep the pharmacy bag close which allows me to use it often. With the plastic bag and paper grocery bag, they had to be out of reach. The passenger seat in the car has envelopes I take from the mailbox and leave there. This way, I can keep another pharmacy bag in the front seat, and place sensitive information envelopes into in immediately after getting the mail. Most days, if I go out in the car, I stop and get the mail on the way out. I rarely carry junk mail into the house.

Since the last free shredding event, I have been working on having all the things that need to be shredded ready instead of having to search at the last minute for all the envelopes I had not put in the trash. Plus, I will no longer have my address on tiny scraps that slip to the floor.

I decided against a shredder. They seem to burn out too quickly. For the same price, I purchase on sale at Lowe's a fire pit. I really don't want to deal with fire because I fear fire since my house burned when I was four-years-old. I wanted exbf to burn things. He did not. I don't know why. But, I do not now trust his ability to deal with stray fire. He might fall into the pit with his limited mobility.

We cannot have a burn barrel or open fire in the city.

I predict less mess, less stress with this new method. Do you have a shredder or another means of dealing with sensitive information?

Sunday afternoon, I decided a small chocolate cup of ice cream from Dairy Queen was just what I needed. So, I went the mile there, paid my money and waited at the window to get my order. The woman leaned out smiling with something that was not chocolate ice cream. She asked me if I wanted a banana split, too. Wary, I said, "Yes, but why?" It seems the car before me had asked for no whipped cream and they had to remake the order.  I didn't want the whipped cream, either, so I dipped it off.

I sat in a parking space at a park on the way home and ate the banana split. At home, I got the melty stuff off the cup of chocolate ice cream and put it in the freezer for tomorrow.

Since I had not had my two slices of bread today, I decided I would skip them. The rest of the evening will be devoted to vegetables, mainly leafy green vegetables. As it is, I feel like I am slipping into an ice cream coma.  

8 comments:

  1. No whipped cream? My favorite part. Nice extra treat for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam.
      I like whipped cream, but this was too sweet. I have not had a banana split in years. I never choose one because it is a lot to eat. I guess I was due one.

      Delete
  2. I love real whipped cream but abhor the fake stuff. That said if they made me a dish and forgot to exclude the cream, I would not send it back. I would just flip it off into a trash bag. but I am pretty easy and understand mistakes happen.
    I shred but I also have a burn pile waiting. Years ago I was the fund raiser for the local high school band. The kids were going to London and we had fundraisers out the wazoo. Recently I found a box with all that info including names of the kids attached to their account legend. Instead of ever having to worry about anything the next time after a big rain I am going out after and burn it in the chimenea. It might well be illegal here but I will be doing it when the fire risk is almost nil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some fake stuff is worse than others. This was not nice at all. I would have taken it off even if I paid for it. Now, a pickle or catsup or mustard or mayo I did not order is a whole different matter. I need a new one made for me.


      If it is legal to use the chimenea, it is okay. The reason the firepit is legal is because it is covered.

      I think I would scan a list of the kid's names and keep a list of who went for posterity's sake.

      Delete
  3. We have a shredder. It must be at least eight or nine years old now, and often gets a work out. Particularly at tax time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EC,
      I hear so many complaints about fried shredders. You must have a good one.

      Delete
  4. Yum on the ice cream! I had a shredder- it kept dying on me so I disposed of it. Now I usually tear things in pieces and cut through the name. You shouldn't be getting mail with your social security number!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nan,
    I have personal papers, too, things that have ss number, bank account numbers, insurance numbers, not all mail.

    ReplyDelete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.