Contact Me

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Graham Crackers and Peanut Butter and Son--so boring except for Son

The Graham crackers were bought for smores, but of course, I got into them. Dipping them in milk or  breaking them in pieces and dropping into milk is a great treat. However, I enjoyed them so much, I had reflux and pain for hours.

It turns out, these were not the ones I loved. So. I went out and bought the right ones. Now, I am happy and exbf gets the others.

Yesterday, as I ate graham crackers and milk, I noticed the peanut butter nearby. So, I slathered on peanut butter on graham crackers, way too much. As a teen I put on the thinnest bit of pb and topped it with another cracker. As I ate the ones with pb slathered on, it was like eating a whole spoon of pb with crumbs. I won't do that again. Today, I put the slightest bit of pb on the graham crackers and loved them.

As a teen I would eat pb on graham crackers or saltines, just a light spread. However, I cannot eat like I did as a teen because I ate much more than I do now.

When my son was in his first kindergarten, they fed them off brand graham crackers EVERY day, so he would not touch good ones for love nor money. He went to a second kindergarten the second half of the year, so that is how he went to two kindergartens. I wonder if he will eat a graham cracker now. I need to ask.

I still have not made smores. I have to go get more Hershey bars. No, I don't know who ate the first two.

Here is the history of graham crackers.

Do you like graham crackers? With pb? How?

21 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever had graham crackers. Which ones are the proper ones, if I should go get some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Urspo,
      I forgot to put the history of the graham cracker in the post. It is there now. Graham crackers were part of temperance campaign. Get Nabisco, red box, has "Original" under "Graham Crackers." The color box may change, but the "Original" is the key. Chocolate are good. I am not sure about the cinnamon ones. GC can be used crushed in desserts. Peaches over graham crackers make a delicious dessert or use strawberries, any juicy fruit you like.

      Delete
    2. Correction: Original is under Nabisco Grahams. Of course, the triangle with Nabisco is still in the upper left-hand corner.

      Delete
    3. I will do have a look-see. You know if I buy some and like them/eat them again you will be always associated with them.

      Delete
    4. Urspo,
      I would be proud to be associated forever in your mind with Graham crackers.

      Delete
  2. I love graham crackers dipped in milk as an evening snack. Never tried it with peanut butter. And yes. There is a difference in brands. I have found I only like the Honey-Maid brand

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One,
      That's how I like them, too. But, Honey Maid is a Nabisco brand. Try a sandwich with peanut butter.

      Delete
  3. I love Nabisco graham crackers too. I love the original but occasionally I crave the cinnamon ones. Cinnamon with a light swipe of peanut butter=Food of the Gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      "Light swipe" is the key. I put way too much on the first one. I put these little sandwiches in my children's lunch for a snack. Well, not for the son, just the girls. I wonder if they would pass a "lunch monitor" today as nutritious enough.

      Delete
  4. I like the cinnamon graham crackers dipped in milk. A very rare treat because they are not sold in Turkey. Whenever I go to the US, I buy them. If you live out of the country for a while, you get used to certain things and when you go back home you miss them forever. Mine are cinnamon graham crackers, Irish Spring soap, oyster crackers, maple syrup, diet Dr.Pepper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. T'Pol,
      Are there expats in Turkey that have caused any of these to be carried by stores? No maple syrup? That is rough...lol. Thanks for that list! I would miss Miracle Whip.

      Delete
    2. T'Pol, my DH has used iris spring soap forever. It's too strong of smell for me. LOL

      Delete
    3. One,
      Irish Spring is too strong for me too, but I hear mice hate it, too.

      Delete
    4. Maple Syrup can be found but not the good stuff usually the Grade B at an extremely high price. I cannot justify buying that. But, every time I am in the States, I buy two bottles and they last me a good time.

      Delete
    5. T'Pol,
      I would hate to pay so much for inferior maple syrup. Maple syrup souvenirs sound good to me.

      Delete
  5. We would have a treat if there was extra frosting from a cake. Graham crackers were cheap so always had them. We eould make sandwiches of leftover frosting. I like with cream cheese now-just a thin spread-as there are always more crackers left at end of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam,
      We never thought of putting frosting on graham crackers. Cream cheese is a good idea, too.

      Delete
  6. We didn't have a lot of snacks around the house when I was growing up, but there was usually a box of graham crackers and a box of saltines. A real treat would be ice cream and then we would eat the ice cream with saltines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      We didn't have lots of snacks, either, but graham crackers and saltines were always around. I never ice cream with crackers! Interesting! Thanks.

      Delete
  7. Graham crackers have neither the taste nor texture of years ago....don't care if they read "Original". Some of the ingredients have been changed. Also, notice how much thinner and narrower they are. Nope, not the same. Also, Irish Spring is not a soap; it is a detergent. It has to say Soap to be soap. Yeah, I am hot and grumpy today...sorry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Tewshooz,
      Well, I am under ac, so I am going with the fact they are original...lol. I know the crackers are smaller, but the original does taste better than all the rest. At least you owned the fact you are hot and grumpy. I never get close to Irish Spring unless it is to put down to chase mice.


      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.