Contact Me

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

4th of July and Chickens



Image result for 4th of july free clipart














For the Fourth, I had hot dogs, slaw, and chips.
Breakfast was banana and milk.
Snacks were boiled egg and cherries.

The BLT for dinner will be more of a salad since I will leave off the bread. If I ate two buns for lunch and two slices of bread for dinner, I would overshoot my self-imposed two slices of bread per day.

There was a box of sliced white mushrooms that I sautéed and put in a jar. In the same pan I sautéed onions and put in another jar. I love Ball jars. I think I may add the mushrooms and onions to a jar of spaghetti tomorrow.

It was a hot, humid day. My yard was supposed to be mowed. sigh

I count myself so lucky to have another day I feel well. For a while, I felt like I was slowly dying.

I am making plans for chickens again. I will not get chicks, but hens laying already. It won't be as much fun. The chickens won't know the ropes around here, so they will get less free range time. If they won't mind, they cannot have freedom once in a while. Besides, I had fun training the chicks.

If I get three hens, I can be assured of getting about 18 eggs each week. I won't eat that many, but you might be surprised how happy people are to get fresh eggs after helping me with something.

The flag at the head of the post will not enlarge or move to center.






6 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought of that: older hens vs. chicks making things more adaptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ur-spo,
      Yes, hens raised from chicks are much more adaptable.

      Delete
  2. A late Happy 4th of July to you too! I am glad you are feeling better. We never get much out of life when we don't feel well enough to move around. And chickens! I always love to hear what people name their pets. If you hear what they name their kids and you are not impressed, you just smile and say "Oh, cute." But when you hear the names of pets you always get to just laugh. Oh, the fireworks are just starting. Better go watch and make sure we don't get caught on fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. tana50,
      Thanks. I hope you had a happy 4th and did not get caught on fire. I worried about that, too. But, I think this is the first 4th that people have not illegally shot fireworks. People loved "Thelma and Louise" when I named my hens. I cannot get too tired one day because it takes me another three days to recover.

      Delete
  3. I have never had chickens (zoning thing), but they are cute critters. I could see the benefits of raising them, though.
    Maybe you will have some highly adaptable girls come live with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne,
      People in this town do not let zoning stop them. But, we keep noise and smell down. They are cute and fun to watch. I found some younger ones that may be more adaptable.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.