Contact Me

Monday, May 6, 2024

Sunday This and That

 


Somehow, the link yesterday did not match the article. Did anyone else notice that? I will put it in another day and see what happens. 

Tommy said the next-door neighbor's St Augustine grass spread from her yard to his driveway. He cut off the sprigs trying to go over his driveway and dug little holes in his front yard and planted the sprigs. He now has a full yard of St. Augustine, except for one place. It is the little area where sidewalk to front door curves to the driveway. He did this thirty or forty years ago. I wonder why this little section has now become devoid of St. Augustine grass. 

We have eaten without cooking for the whole week. Tommy found cooked chicken breasts and thighs in the freezer, opened cans, ate leftovers, and salads. The frozen, cooked breast was from Jan 23. It was fine, no bad taste or anything. Tommy thought it was okay, too. I saw it in the refrigerator right after he moved it from the freezer. There was absolutely no freezer burn. 

Tonight, I put two chicken breasts, more than one pound of baby carrots and celery in the cooking bag, all seasoned with garlic and chives from the Concord pouch for seasoning. Since we put this in after dinner, it will be done late and refrigerated. 

Tonight, Tommy has been a trial, raising my ire at least a dozen times. If I say 'right.' it is 'left' to him, saying he did not understand me or did not hear me. I asked him to bring me a scant cup of water to chair to put in bag of food to cook. He brought the cup measure less than half full. And, it was very hot water. I don't ever want to use water from hot water heater to cook. He has been told 'heavy metals' and still forgets why. He wants to save water by not running it cold. He figures it is already heated so why not help the cooking along without heating water again. He drives me to distraction with his cheapness. Yet, he is not cheap or thrifty or parsimonious where it would really count and not threaten our health. 

Yes, we do have the hot water discussion several times each week. He uses the front porch light most days even though he says he does not need a light. When I moved here, he did not have one extra light bulb. When I brought a dozen new ones from my storage several weeks later, he claimed he did not need light bulbs. 

He can be good as gold and very kind and spend money, yet his penny-pinching ways that gain so little make me irritable. 

It seems he managed to eat what and when he should and kept himself lucid while I slept today. So, that is great. He seems to be remembering he has to eat more often than he thinks. For that I am so happy. Maybe I can get more sleep tonight. Well, I have not slept at all for the last few nights. 

We have not gone to Lowe's to check on hanging baskets for Mother's Day. So, we must do that this week. Certain flowers are on sale until the 8th. Thinking aloud--We need to go to Publix, Lowe's, and make a return elsewhere. We will need to dodge rainy part of the day. 

I got lucky, I suppose. The cleaner that lives up near Cullman and wants to buy my car is coming on Thursday. The new woman is coming Tuesday.  Mower is coming sometime since he missed last Thursday. He never calls before he misses or afterwards, just shows up. At least he shows up sometime.

Tommy only knew the word ballast and knew nothing about the starter on a fluorescent fixture. Now, we have to get someone to remove the tube, removed the starter, and after we go get a new starter, we need someone to put starter and tube in fixture. Only then can we determine if we need a new ballast. I am all for replacing the fixture with one that takes bulbs. Of course, he disagrees. I do not want to stand under fluorescent and he wants to save the cost of electrician. His motto seems to be to never protect health, just money. 

There were four ladybug succulent planters (4.5") in my trunk--1 hot pink, 2 cherry red, and another less pink one. Each has a plastic terra cotta colored pot with lots of drainage. So, now I need to do something with these because they are so cute. Maybe I will sell three on Etsy and keep one for myself. These are $12.95 on Amazon. I did not pay that much but think I can get $5. 

We are binging on Randolph Scott movies tonight. It is a lovely way to waste time. 

Do you ever watch cowboy channels? We get INSP and GRIT. Oh, he just said we get others. 

Do you think these ladybugs would bring $5 on Etsy? 






10 comments:

  1. Would these be considered vintage? Or a craft supply? Etsy has rules that items must be handmade, vintage, or a craft supply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alice,
      I was not aware of that. Plus, I have seen items that did not fit in those categories, I thought. Maybe I won't now.

      Delete
  2. They look vintage to me. Who is to say otherwise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tewshooz,
      They are a craft when I include the tiny plastic, terra cotta colored pot that fits inside along with a half cup of cactus soil I have.

      Delete
  3. Put a succulent in each ladybug pot, and put them outside in a sunny spot. And give some away if you see fit. They make such wonderful gifts--pretty plants that thrive on neglect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue,
      Good idea. I bought them to sell. If I put the lady bug pot, the plastic pot that is terra cotta colored, and a half cup of cactus soil that I have, it is a diy or craft. I can make these all fit the parameters.

      Delete
  4. PS: Sorry to hear that Tommy is being an ongoing trial. But he is an old dog, and teaching him new tricks will wear you out much sooner than he'll learn them.

    Perhaps you should get a Kong and stuff it with peanut butter. Then you could give it to him to chew on when he's getting mouthy and annoying. I mean, I hear it works for puppies, so why not old dogs too? LOLOLOLOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the last paragraph to Tommy and asked him if he would like that. He said dryly, "I doubt it."

      Oh, he has been a trial by doing the opposite of what I ask him to do. I did not sleep last night, not one bit. So, naturally he is much more annoying.

      Delete

Okay, hoping the annoyances have gone away.